Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sun screen

1. Back To Top    #1

Sun screen

This may be a dumb question but I need to ask. I have been reading elsewhere that pool owners don't like when people slather up with lotion then get in the pool. Do pool owners not like lotion? I have been genetically blessed with very little hair on my head. If I didn't wear sun screen my head would be bright red and not very pleasant feeling. Do you guys wear sunscreen? Does it mess the water balance or something? Thanks or your thoughts. Ryan
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sun screen

I feel like it soaks up chlorine and clouds up the water...it also soaks the cartridge filter in oil and makes it harder to clean
    pool owner since 2012
    13-15k gallons, kidney shaped,in-ground plaster
    1970s construction, currently undergoing complete renovation
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

3. Back To Top    #3

About the only pool store additive I use is a bottle of enzymes to break it down if I've had a few in all slathered up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you allow it to soak in, there wouldn't be much problem. But far too many people slather it on and jump in immediately, and you can actually see the oil slick they leave behind!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I only mind the one's that slather it on and the jump right it. It just washes right off. Don't you people understand!!!!

The ones that let it soak in for several mins. are doing it right......

I did notice upon opening this year i had a scum line i didn't at closing. I also took my DE filter completely apart to clean after 1 year of use and it was nasty. I attribute both issues to sunscreen use.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

The spray on sun screen seems to make much less of a mess and is much easier to apply in my opinion. It seems like thats all our family and friends use anymore. Head sunburns are the worst!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

We also use the spray. I try to make my kids wait fifteen minutes after applying. I just spray them down then take my time getting my suit on. Thanks for everyone's input.
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    If you allow it to soak in, there wouldn't be much problem. But far too many people slather it on and jump in immediately, and you can actually see the oil slick they leave behind!
    This! I have seen it. A friend of ours found it necessary to cover himself with about 5x the required amount for a early afternoon swim around 5:30 when the pool becomes shaded by trees anyway.

Reminds me of the cloud that liquid chlorine creates, only the lotion clouds aren't a good thing. And it doesn't seem to disappear as quickly either.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]