Coverstar Pool Cover making horrible noise

May 8, 2013
Southern IL
So, I lifted off the pool cover housing unit lid. Cleaned out all the goop with a shop vac then washed it out with a hose. Now, when uncovering the pool when it gets fully uncovered its like the motor is making a horrible noise. I don't really need to push the button after its fully open but it just scares me as it had never done this prior to me cleaning it out. Any ideas of something I may of done? :(

This is what my coverstar installer claims to do on a spring "clean-up". It's basically what i did on my own. Have you lubed anything after cleaning? Did you spray a bunch of soap and water on the pulley's and motor?

They told me to use food grade spray silicon to lube everything.

SPRING COVER CLEANING: Get 10% off!
Schedule your 12pt Annual Maintenance, today!

Your COVERSTAR Technician will do the following:
Inspect and clean your cover***
Condition and seal the fabric
Lubricate and check the pulleys
Clean out the housing unit
Inspect the webbing
Check the motor operation
Inspect the sliders
Lubricate the entire system
Inspect the torque
Inspect and clean the track
Clean and check the pump
Inspect the ropes

***NEVER pressure wash your Automatic Safety Cover. This will create pin-holes and will compromise the integrity of your cover.

Andyc83 said:
No. I did not lube anything after rinsing it out. Also, is it an absolute pain in the butt to get the lid back on or is there something I just wasnt understanding to it?

I just sprayed everything that looked like it moved, and the channels in the pool (per what installer said to do).

Mine is an aluminum lid, it's not heavy, but it's awkward. My lid fits the opening snugly.

This is it

Yours looks to be the same as mine. To get the ends to go down in I had to kick the outside (closest to pool edge) in to get it to snap into place. Without doing that I'd get one end in, and the other end would pop out. I was getting pretty frustrated! This picture is an older picture from the initial install. It isn't that messy now right after I cleaned the area :)

Attachments

• lid.JPG
    lid.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 94
Installer cut mine, and other pieces, with a circular saw using a regular old wood blade (we discussed it, i was unimpressed with the cut quality, he used a file to smooth it). You could trim a blade width off of it.....might put some painters tape on it to keep from scratching the powedercoat.

However a word of caution, one night we must have had some serious gusts of wind because i found my cover blown off the pit away from the pool about 5', glad it didn't damage the cover.

All that said we still haven't really talked about the noise. Mine was installed last summer and i had them come back out for a few issues, are they not being responsive to your needs?

Do you have a picture of where your cover closes against your coping?

I did, i was referring to the other end of the pool, where your cover closes up against the pool coping/wall. I was just curious how/what your coping looks like, concrete/aluminum rail ?

Mine is concrete coping that is rough, and i'm seeing wear on the end of my cover already, awaiting installer to address it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.