Cartridge Filter or Sand Filter

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of filter you use is almost entirely a personal preference issue. There are some differences between the various filter types but they are fairly minor. For example a cartridge filter makes the most efficient use of water, since rinsing the cartridge off takes much less water than backwashing a sand or DE filter. DE filters filter down to a smaller particle size than other filters, sand is the "worst" and cartridge filters are in-between. However, most people can't detect any difference caused by that.

The main differences are in the approach to cleaning the filter. Cartridges get removed and rinsed off, sand gets backwashed, and DE gets backwashed usually and occasionally needs to be opened up and throughly cleaned.

The size of the filter make a dramatically larger difference than what kind of filter you have. Larger filters can go longer between cleanings and are slightly more efficient.

The problems that I am having with the cartridge filter is that I am having to buy a new one every year at a cost of $150 -$200. My pool installer said that I should not have to replace them but ever 5 years or so. Also I have to clean it on a weekly basis after they told me I should not have to do it but once a month. Also I have to run my pump on level 3 or 4 out of 4 just to have the correct flow.

Sounds like more of a size issue than a design issue. If it's too small then switching to a sand filter may not be a bad idea. However if it's really a water quality issue that's causing you to have to clean it and replace it regularly then switching won't solve anything.

What size is it?
Are you having any water issues?

You have 2 thread now going that are related ... thus making everyone confused:
pool-filter-issues-t62764.html

Smartspool said:
No water issues. When you say size I assume you are talking the size of the pool? If so the pool is a 14x28 fiberglass pool.
We disagree as you have now stated you have algae in the other thread.
You issue with the current filter seems to be chemistry related.

You pool is likely around 11k gallons (depends on the depth). You filter is a 100sqft cartridge.

We would recommend a minimum of:
163 sqft cartridge
2.1 sqft (19.4" diameter) sand

So you current filter is certainly on the small side which is contributing to your constant cleaning ... compounded by the apparent existence of algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.