Pool Filter Issues

Jun 11, 2013
Auburn, AL
Good afternoon...I have a Sta-Rite System 2 Filtration System (Model # PLM100) for my pool. I was told by our installers that my cartridge should last me around 5 or so years. I am on year 3 of my pool and I am on my 3rd filter. I have to clean it on a weekly basis as well as soak it on a monthly basis. In order for the flow to be right I have to at least keep the pump running on 3 out of 4. Any help or advise on what might be causing this would be great.

I have soaked it in the StripKleen solution sold at my pool store. Over the last 4 days or so I have rinsed it daily and I am getting a greenish film coming off of the filter. This is a first for that. I have not tried the cleaning with muratic acid. I will try that next. Where can you buy that at?

If you are getting green, you probably have live algae which would answer why your filter are constantly clogged.

No filter can filter live algae. I'll bet you have inadequate chlorine in the pool and that is indirectly causing the filter issue. Can you post test results?

I will check the results this evening once I get home from work. I completely agree with your algae conclusion but why would I just now start to see the green coming off of the filter. That just started this week and I have had the pool for 3 years?

but why would I just now start to see the green coming off of the filter.
It could be one of a thousand things. Far more important is to manage your pool water a bit more carefully. If that is algae in your pool (and it sounds like it), you are a classic case for reading up in Pool School about precise, timely testing and adequate chlorine additions. Your pool can be absolutely sparkling and your cartridges will stay clean for an unbelievably long time.

Well that means that your pH is more likely to be too high if you are not testing regularly and thus contributing to possible scaling in the cartridge.

It is all speculation without good test results [FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA].

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well the kit will help get the water straightened away, but you should probably still follow the instructions on cleaning the cartridge before you start the shock process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.