Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rough deck surface on gunite pool, what can I do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rough deck surface on gunite pool, what can I do?

Hello,
    I am opening an in-ground pool at our new house for the first time, and the chemicals are going well, but no swim time has happened yet as I'm waiting on CYA to dissolve to start shocking. The pool is gunite, approximately kidney bean shaped, and appears to be 30-40 years old. The deck surface feels very rough, like it hasn't weathered well (I can be pretty sure the previous owners did no preventative maintenance or treatment), but is also heaving and cracked in places. I don't have good pictures of the cracking yet, so I'll hold off asking about possible fixes, but I'm wondering about the surface - is there something I can paint on that will make it less rough? Does concrete sealant change the texture, or just make it less permeable?

Picture is attached of an area of the deck. Thanks for any advice.
    Kai
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 Gallons - gunite pool, Pentair cartridge filters, skimmer-only (main drain busted), 400k BTU heater, 1 HP variable speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rough deck surface on gunite pool, what can I do?

Hello Kai - welcome. I'd focus less on the pool deck at this point and get some chlorine into that pool asap. Order the TF 100 and post some #'s to "Getting Started" as soon as you can.

I saw your other post as well, and noticed you live in the Boston area. The best place to buy Chlorine around here is 1) Ocean State Job Lot - $2.99 for a 128oz of 12.5% or 2) Costco for Bleach. Pick some up right away and get some Chlorine in that pool! I wouldnt raise CYA until you have your test results in.
    20K IG White Plaster - Hayward 1.5 HP Pump - Anthony DE Filter - TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear - this pic is from a few weeks ago, it's now clear and almost entirely blue, I have a chlorine feeder and am preparing to shock when I have a chance. There's some debris that settles at the bottom, but it's about 95% better than this photo shows.

My latest tests had:
    CYA - 0 (have conditioner in sock in skimmer, not yet dissolved, but latest test could be as high as 20, no higher)
    TA - 40 (raised with baking soda, haven't re-tested)
    pH - 7.5
    Still no chlorine - the feeder only just got installed, but may be too low for the CYA level to register anyway
    CH - 240

But I'm not in need of chemistry advice (yet!), things are responding as I expected. Would be nice for the deck not to be so painful to walk on, though, before the swimming season starts in earnest around here.

Thanks for the tips on Ocean State and Costco, I'll definitely pick some up.
    18,000 Gallons - gunite pool, Pentair cartridge filters, skimmer-only (main drain busted), 400k BTU heater, 1 HP variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't really see what the surface of the deck looks like from that picture...can you post a closer picture?

How are you doing your water tests? Do you have a test kit, or are you taking it to a pool store?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

So if you have not gone through the shock process described in Pool School yet, how did your pool turn blue? What else have you put into the pool other than CYA? Also, Why are you waiting to have a chlorine feeder to add chlorine to the pool? I'm hoping you have been adding bleach directly in the meantime, but just not shocking?

Sorry for no response on your deck - I do not have any knowledge in this area, and I'm hoping others will respond.
    20K IG White Plaster - Hayward 1.5 HP Pump - Anthony DE Filter - TF100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I added chlorine once a few weeks ago when the pump was fixed, and since then brushing and running the filter has been clearing debris and it hasn't gone back to green. I'm not waiting for a chlorine feeder to add chlorine, I'm waiting for the birth of my child so I am off work and can stop by every few hours to work on it.

I'm not adding chlorine routinely, because this post convinced me "If you pause before you have gotten rid of it all, it will bounce right back, and any time and chemicals you invested will be wasted. "
    turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's a closer shot of the deck surface
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe an epoxy paint with some grit added? If you're thinking of the garage floor coating epoxies, I'm afraid they be too slippery when wet - esp for a toddler.

A good cleaning and bonding coat, followed by a fresh skim coat of cement or very fine concrete, then sealed would be the expensive route.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas - it I ever get past killing pumps and messing up the plumbing, I'll need to address similar issues.

Good luck!
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kai3
    I added chlorine once a few weeks ago when the pump was fixed, and since then brushing and running the filter has been clearing debris and it hasn't gone back to green. I'm not waiting for a chlorine feeder to add chlorine, I'm waiting for the birth of my child so I am off work and can stop by every few hours to work on it.

I'm not adding chlorine routinely, because this post convinced me "If you pause before you have gotten rid of it all, it will bounce right back, and any time and chemicals you invested will be wasted. "
    turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html
    If that chlorine feeder has trichlor pucks in it, you've been adding CYA. You need to check that. It's easy to raise CYA, a PITA to lower it. Don't overshoot.

As for the rough deck, once it's all wet it might be an advantage to have some grittiness for traction. All I could suggest would be perhaps wet-sanding it. And that would be rough on anyone's knees, back, and arms.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!