What Cleaner/Where to Attach.

Jun 12, 2013
I have a 15k gal. in ground diving pool. It has two pumps. 1.5hp pump pushing the filter, skimmer, returns. 1hp pump that pushes a waterfall, but can also be diverted to a dedicated return line.

I was thinking of getting a Polaris 360 and attaching it to the dedicated line of the 1hp pump. It would only run when required, reducing wear. And would not affect the use of the skimmer and the other return circulation.

But, as this pumps only filtering is the pump basket, would it be pushing too much debris through the return line for the Polaris? Everything I have read, describes using it after the filter, and didn't know if this was a requirement? Nothing I've seen talks about using it with a dedicated pump.

Thanks

The Polaris 360 runs off of the current return lines and is not for use with a booster pump. The Polaris 280 and 380 are the booster pump rated Polaris cleaners. They work off of a 3/4 hp pump (not sure if a 1 hp is too powerful) and thread into a
1 1/2" dedicated return line. The Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend also works off of the same set up. Since the return line is after the filter no debris will get into the Polaris line unless the filter has a leak or a salt cell has a lot of calcium blow back.

So you have a separate dedicated 1 1/2" tread wall return line in the pool that was plumbed in with the waterfall? Is there a jandy valve that will divert the water flow from the waterfall to the dedicated return jet? If so maybe you can use the 1 hp pump after all and divert some of the return to the waterfall to reduce the water pressure to the Polaris cleaner.

I believe the second 1hp pump is a normal pump, not a booster pump. (large volume, low pressure for the waterfall) Yes, there is a diverter valve that will allow me to direct water from the waterfall to the dedicated return. (yes it comes out fast when all is put to the return!)

But, as it's not a booster pump would I still go for the 360? And will not having a filter on the second pump cause too much debris?

It will still work like a booster pump though and I think that would be too much flow for the 360 model although I am not 100% sure. The best thing to do is call Zodiac and see how they would have you test the flow rate to decide which Polaris to get. Zodiac Tech support 800-822.7933.

The message below is what I heard from Zodiac. I'm guessing if I can get the rotation at the proper speed then I have the pressure set correctly?

Good Morning,

The Polaris 360 requires 12-14PSI to function properly. Based on your existing set-up, putting this unit on a dedicated return line with that pump may be sufficient to power the unit without putting excessive pressure through the cleaner.

VONNA FRAZIER
Technical Support Representative

Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.