Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical/Test help!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical/Test help!?

Hi All! This is only my second post and I am waiting for my suggested test kit to arrive... As of right now, I have added about 8 gallons of bleach, 2lbs of Cynuric. The pool is very cloudy and you can see the picture for the chemical test strip results. (I think I need to add PH minus? Any suggestions are very appreciated!!
    24 ft R, Niagara by Asahi Pools, ABG, 13500 gallon, hayward 1hp single speed pump, swim pro sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical/Test help!?

If the strip is to be believed, pH is slightly low, but nothing I would worry about.

Also note, when you do get your proper test kit, that the pH test may read higher than it is. So don't be hasty about fixing it, or you'll just end up dong that pool store see-saw. accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Is your water green & cloudy, milky white and cloudy, or ???

I think I need to add PH minus?
    It looks to me like the pH is close to 6.8. Would not add pH minus.

Looks like your FC is between 5-10 ppm. Also looks like CYA is indeed low. Although you added CYA recently, it will take about a week for those results to appear in your test results. Be careful not to overdose on CYA - it is much easier to add more if needed but more difficult to remove if it gets too high.

Since it appears you have ordered one of the recommended test kits, I would wait until that arrives and then run a full series of tests and post those results and we will go from there. For now (until your new kit arrives), maintain FC at around 5 ppm or so. It sounds like you will need to go though the Shock Process, but you will need the new kit in order to do that properly. In the meantime, I would remove any debris that may be in your pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a pic of the pool... I guess I would say its a bluish/white cloudy!?! You can not see through it at all...
    24 ft R, Niagara by Asahi Pools, ABG, 13500 gallon, hayward 1hp single speed pump, swim pro sand filter.