Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching sequestrants

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Chester, PA

Switching sequestrants

I did a Vitamin C treatment recently and am on maintenance with Metal Free. I was not too happy with my results and after reading more here, it seems that Metal Free is not one of the recommended on this site. I would like to switch to a different sequestrant and would like to know if there is anything I need to do first or if it is OK to just make the switch by continuing on a maintenance dose with a different product.

Thank you.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Switching sequestrants

Just switch to a different sequestrant. Any sequestrant slowly breaks down in the pool, so you need to add more regularly to maintain the correct level - that's normal.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.