Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Better than intermatic timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Better than intermatic timer?

Hi,
    I'm getting a occasional strong shock from my intermatic timer. I'm having an electrician come out and diagnosis/fix it. Over the phone, he wonders if it needs replacing.

The timer controls the pump, and polaris cleaner, i only need it on for 4 hours a day, and i've been happy.

As long as I have someone coming out, I could take the opportunity to upgrade--is there a god-like timer or control that i should be looking at?

Thanks

P.S. Thank you for all the help, i've read the forum for hours and learned so much!
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Better than intermatic timer?

I'll just add it is the entirely mechanical timer, with the metal disk, and you put on/off screws on it.
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

3. Back To Top    #3

There's not much better than the mechanical timers. I suspect it's a bare wire touching the housing. Maybe a rub through.
    I don't know why he'd think it needs replacing. especially since he's never even seen it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The intermatic mechanical timer is sorta' the standard. I'm sure the intermatic digitals are a likely improvement but the mechanical ones are usually pretty bulletproof
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School