Liquid Chlorine Question

Can liquid chlorine lose it's punch after a couple of years of sitting in the shed? I use the liquid variety for my AGP. I needed to raise the chlorine level, and used some from a bottle that had been sitting for 2 years. Before adding, I took a bit of a smell, and then a deeper one because I couldn't detect anything. It had absolutely no smell at all. Like smelling a jug of water. Shouldn't it kind of smell like Clorox?

It has probably degraded, especially if the shed was exposed to hot temperatures (say, in the summer). This page at the bottom shows the half-life of chlorine at different concentrations and this is for high-quality product.

Yes, you normally smell a bleach/chlorine smell in concentrated product.

Yes chlorine loses strength, although I can not remember how fast, but it is a function of the temperature it was stored at as well. There is a thread somewhere with a table.

After a few years, there is likely very little FC left in the bottle.

Yes, I would say 2 y.o. bleach in a shed is no good, and if it were mine, I wouldn't use it. However, brand new bleach in the container doesn't have an overly strong smell, and this is not a reliable test for bleach strength. There is likely nothing wrong with the acid and a smell test of that is not a good thing to do as I am sure you noticed. If you can, I suggest storing those two items away from each other, in seperate locations if at all possible. If not, take all precautions to ensure they NEVER have a chance of mixing incase of leaks or spills.

Ok...there is my safety spiel for the day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.