Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New swg

1. Back To Top    #1

New swg

When my pool was originally plumbed,the installer put an inline check valve after the heat pump and before the swg. I am about to install a new auto pilot swg. Can anyone tell me if I should remove the check valve or keep it, reinstall? I assume it has to be installed vertically.

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New swg

You usually do not need a check valve there. The type of check valve affects the installation orientation if you are going to put it back.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am leaning towards not putting it in. What's worse case if I leave it out?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

How worst case? Worst case is hydrogen gas builds up when the SWG is on with no water flow and goes backward into the heater and explodes when the heater turns on.

This would take multiple failures though and most manuals I have seen do not require a check valve before the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    How worst case? Worst case is hydrogen gas builds up when the SWG is on with no water flow and goes backward into the heater and explodes when the heater turns on.

This would take multiple failures though and most manuals I have seen do not require a check valve before the SWG.

Doesn't sound so bad........
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

The AutoPilot manifold, when plumbed with the upper manifold loop upwards, acts as it's own gas trap (hartford loop), so the hydrogen gas cannot backflow with the chance of a failed flow switch and the pump off. Also, the AutoPilot should be wired so that if the pump is off, the AutoPilot should be powered down as well.
    There's little to no concern if you leave the check valve off.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you