Single Serving Chlorine Containers

ekim

May 4, 2013
nj
I was thinking about recycling used bleach containers into "single serving" containers.

The idea is to figure out how much bleach is needed for a 0.5 PPM raise and then add that to a bleach jug and top off with water (well water first and then bleach). If my math is right (22K Gallons with liner, 8.25% Bleach, 121 Oz jug) then each single serving container will be about a 1.2% bleach concentration.

The main goal is to have it so that just about anyone can grab one (or a few) of these containers and just dump them in the skimmer with the pump running without having to do any math or mixing or pouring slowly, or pouring in front of a return and then brushing, etc. Just as easy as throwing pucks into the skimmer (don't want to talk about the cons of puck in skimmer here...)

I can spend 15 minutes every week mixing up a batch of these single serving containers and then the rest of the family can more easily help with daily maintenance :cool:

The only down side that I can see is to ensure that no one can accidentally grab and dump a "full strength" container into the skimmer.

Are there other downsides - for example will the chlorine break down faster at that dilution level (stored out of sun, but subject to outside temps?
Is that 1.2% dilution safe for just dumping into skimmer?
What about just dumping into the deep end - say from a diving board?

Imagine you're going to ask a teenage kid to put the chlorine in the pool. You're pretty sure they'll mange to get it in, but not quite positive they'll do it exactly as instructed :roll: . I know I wouldn't want to use full strength in that case, but is 1.2% just about foolproof?

I actually recommended this very idea in a thread to a pool maintenance guy. Get the homeowner's to pour in a little chlorine and get them off the pucks, quit the drain and refill lower CYA cycle and save some money....

I don't know if the chlorine would be "less effective" or "go bad", why not mix a bottle, leave it ouside, and retest it in one week?

You could color code the bottles, or letter them with days of the week.

I have 5 2.5 gallon refillable containers I get 10% in from the pool store. I put 3 quarts of this in each bleach bottle (been using the same bottles for 2 years). Then once a week I have my dad add 2 bottles to my chlorinator.

He is 87 years old and can not lift the 2.5 gallon containers, and only checks on the house once a week for us. Works great.

The only issue to diluting it would be if the filler water had something in it that "used up" the FC. In that case you'd have less strength than you planned on. Other than that it should work fine. I'd personally go for a 1 ppm quantity.

harleysilo said:
I don't know if the chlorine would be "less effective" or "go bad", why not mix a bottle, leave it ouside, and retest it in one week?
I'll try this. Right now I only have 2 bottles. I need a bigger collection before I can set one aside for testing. With so few bottles I'll be mixing a new batch every day or two.

harleysilo said:
You could color code the bottles, or letter them with days of the week.

I was considering this. Get some spray paint that's for plastic. For now, I have them "labeled" with a sharpie - 0.5. Next time we need to raise we'll dump 2 in and see what the FC change is after 2 hours.

Bama Rambler said:
The only issue to diluting it would be if the filler water had something in it that "used up" the FC.
Good point. It's city drinking water, so in theory it's already got trace chlorine in it.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd personally go for a 1 ppm quantity.
We may end up there. The reason for 0.5 is keep it as foolproof as possible. I simply don't know at what point more careful handling is required, so I figured start with the most diluted that seems at all practical.

Wow, when I was eleven, it was my job to dilute and dose the pool with Cal-Hypo every night. No CYA in those days, just good old HTH granules in 100 lb. metal drums. Of course, I had never seen a computer. Now, computer-literate teenagers can't handle a little bleach.

Just reporting back. The single serving approach is working well. We have about 10 premixed containers that raise the chlorine level by 1ppm (vs the 0.5 I was originally targeting). It's nice to be able to read the chlorine level in the morning, toss in the right number of containers to get us where we need to be and be done with it.

I have a 1 gallon plastic milk jug with a bleach line and a water line. I add the bleach and then add water to the water line, then dump it into the bleach container. I try to be exact with the bleach line and the water line is a "ballpark" deal, just to ensure the bleach container doesn't get over filled. I also avoid having my head "over" the containers when mixing and wear safety glasses or pool goggles just to be safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.