New pool owners, cloudy green water

seelyj

Jun 11, 2013
Iowa
Bought an Intex 18' x 42" pool and the Intex CS8111 Salt water system. Filled the pool with well water and it was a cloudy green. I added 120# of pool salt 1.5 lbs of CYA and ran the filter for 24hours as recommended. Then I ran the "boost"/shock cycle for a total of 12 hours. Pool was still green and cloudy. I pulled the filter out and it was very brown, replaced it and ran the filter for another 12 hours. Checked levels and FC was low so I kicked off another boost.

The water is still green but clearer now. It sounds like metals but just wanted to get everyone else's take on it. We are worried about staining of the liner from whatever it is. Assuming it is metal, it sounds like I can just get a sequesterant from a pool store, is that right?

All I have are the crappy test strips (I know, I need to get a good test kit) but here are the current levels

sodium choloride 2580
total hardnes 200
FC 2
PH 8.4
TA 240
CYA 40

Just added a couple of cups of ph minus before this test trying to get PH/TA down.

Any help would be appreciated
James

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.