Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back Filling AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Back Filling AG pool

We just had our 24'x52" AG pool installed. They had to dig down about 24" on on side. We want to backfill the foot all the way around it. I can't find anything but old and conflicting information. It is that the majority of people have pretty level ground?

Anyone have experience backfilling?
    14,000 gallons 24'x52" Seaspray Allure AG
    Sand filter, 1.5 hp Hayward Vari-Flo XL
    Installed June 2013
    AquaCal SQ120 HeatPump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Back Filling AG pool

Standard logic dictates using locking retaining wall blocks set back away from the pool wall. I don't think it would be a good idea for you to backfill directly against your pool wall.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is partially buried, and after being filled, was backfilled up against the outside of the wall. I assume your poool is warranted for such an installation? If so, it probably has instructions as to what is required such as sifting the soil and such. No large clods up against it for sure! Expect much more settling than you'd ever expect as well. I'd do it in stages if I had it to do over again, wetting it down and allowing time to settle before adding more. I'd get it done before any heavy rain is expected for sure.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Woody, did you coat the pool prior to backfilling to avoid corrosion? I will check our warranty and see if their are any instruction with the pool paperwork. I don't recall seeing it. Also, I read a lot places that you fill the space with about six inches of sand to protect the coping from erosion.
    14,000 gallons 24'x52" Seaspray Allure AG
    Sand filter, 1.5 hp Hayward Vari-Flo XL
    Installed June 2013
    AquaCal SQ120 HeatPump

5. Back To Top    #5

Our 24' round AG is partially buried. We made SURE that it was warranted for that and got that clearly stated in writing before we purchased the pool. The walls of the pool we bought are coated with an epoxy resin and assembled with all stainless steel fasteners. The installers back filled with clean dirt (no rocks, roots or other junk). Being in the deep South, we have red clay soil that compacts tightly.

We also put a border around it, 1 1/2 feet away from the pool wall, put down landscape fabric then put 2 inches of tiny pea gravel on top. That lets splashes drain away and helps prevent things from growing up against the pool wall (you don't want things growing against the walls and spreading roots under the liner). It also keeps the red clay from spattering on the lower part of the walls and staining them. (That red clay stains pretty much whatever it gets on!)

Even with the fabric/pebbles, we spray the border with ground clear and sprinkle ant pellets around it a couple times a year. It looks just as good as when it was installed five years ago!

Of course, you should follow the advice of your pool manufacturer.

Enjoy!
    13500 gal above ground (24' round/4' deep), vinyl, 2hp/2 speed pump, ProClean cartridge filter (125 sq ft surface area), Hayward auto chlorinator (turned off!).

"There once was a fellow named Harry, who's pool became green and contrary!
    Then he found TroubleFree, learned about BBB, now pool care's not quite as scary!"

6. Back To Top    #6

I should clairify one thing. The pool walls were manufactured with an epoxy resin coating. We didn't put it on.
    13500 gal above ground (24' round/4' deep), vinyl, 2hp/2 speed pump, ProClean cartridge filter (125 sq ft surface area), Hayward auto chlorinator (turned off!).

"There once was a fellow named Harry, who's pool became green and contrary!
    Then he found TroubleFree, learned about BBB, now pool care's not quite as scary!"

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool at it's previous location was backfilled about 18" on one side for about 9 years with no sign of harm to the wall. The rails and bottom plates are resin and I damaged a couple of those when disassembling the pool. Every nook and cranny was filled with sand or dirt making it difficult to take apart. I'm currently working on burying it almost three feet on the high side. Shadebuilder.com has articles on burying ABG pools. If you have to drain is when you might have problems, don't drain below ground level for several years if possible and then only for a brief time. Otherwise you could have a collapse inward.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

8. Back To Top    #8

Careful on backfilling and warranty
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list