Considering a SWG but need advice

Jul 29, 2010
Hello all,

I currently have a 19K gallon pool with a 1hp Pentair Superflo pump & a DEX 4800 Hayward filter. I add chemicals by hand, but with 2 small children, school and work, I find it difficult to keep up with the chemicals the way I should. For this reason, I am considering a SWG. I am interested in getting a device with a control box that would be able to handle the SWG, but also possibly a PH additive if I chose to add one later. Additionally, I would want one that could hook up to my wireless internet so I could check chemical levels when out of town. I know that the sensors these devices use are not yet sophisticated enough to be really accurate, but it would be great to see about where I stand in terms of salinity, Chlorine, Alkalinity, & PH from a remote location.
But I have a few concerns:

1) I only run my pump about 2 hours each day, which seems to keep the water fairly clear. I am concerned that this is not enough time to really utilize a SWG since I understand that they can only produce chlorine when the pump is running. I don’t want to run it all day long, but would I need to get a variable speed pump, to really make the whole system work efficiently?
2) I understand that SWG’s often require their own maintenance regimen. That said, I think it would do a better job of chlorination, but might not really save me any time.

Based on my set-up, would you even recommend a SWG? If so, what brand would you trust to do what I indicated above? If not, what solution would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

loudog98 said:
1) I only run my pump about 2 hours each day, which seems to keep the water fairly clear. I am concerned that this is not enough time to really utilize a SWG since I understand that they can only produce chlorine when the pump is running. I don’t want to run it all day long, but would I need to get a variable speed pump, to really make the whole system work efficiently?
Maybe....or you could oversize your SWG if you don't want to run the pump as long.
loudog98 said:
2) I understand that SWG’s often require their own maintenance regimen. That said, I think it would do a better job of chlorination, but might not really save me any time.
There is very little maintenance and yes, they do chlorinate differently...and in my opinion, in a better way. If you keep your levels right, you may only have to clean it once a season. You would spend a lot more time dosing manually.
loudog98 said:
Based on my set-up, would you even recommend a SWG? If so, what brand would you trust to do what I indicated above? If not, what solution would you recommend?
Yes. I have a Jandy and hear good things most of the time. If I had a choice I would go with a Pentair setup.

There are some effective automation solutions out there but I'm not sure you will find one that will do everything you want, especially the chemical levels.

I don't think you'll get away with only a two hour run time. Typically a SWG should be sized for 2-3 times the size of your pool. This usually lets people get away with running 8-12 hours. Some rough calculations would put you in the range of a SWG designed for 100k to 160k. Unfortunately, there are no manufacturers that I know of that make them that big.

I think realistically, you would be looking at 4-6 hour minimum runtime, probably closer to 6.

I did some research, and I am not running my pump long enough to turn the total volume twice per day anyway. I should be running at least 4.5 hours per day. I looked into the variable speed pumps and they would allow me to run up to 12 hours per day at a high enough GPM to power the Creepy Krauly and still save about $450-$700 per year in electricity (depending on what cost tier I end up in for running longer). Now I just need to find a controller that can handle the pump the SWG and connect to the internet. Does anybody have a SWG/control box system they are happy with that allows for at least PH & Chlorine monitoring on the internet & variable speed pump control?

loudog98 said:
I did some research, and I am not running my pump long enough to turn the total volume twice per day anyway.
Where ever you read that is simply wrong. It is extremely unusual for a pool to need even one turnover per day, and nearly all pools are less than that. See the Pool School article on how long to run your pump.

A variable speed pump is hardly every worth it unless your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. With lower electrical rates the initial investment doesn't get paid back. For lower rates, a two speed pump is your best choice.

Nothing a residential pool owner can afford reports chlorine levels over the Internet. There are a couple that do ORP, but ORP has at best a tenuous relationship to FC levels and is best avoided.

There are a couple of different models of automation (at least one from each of the major brands) that do the rest of what you want, but they tend to be pricey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.