Intex sand filter pump suddenly very loud

Unfortunately, no, as I don't own one and I would hesitate to ask the only other person in town that I know has one if I can look at it to see how to take it apart.

I can offer you this. If it is built in any way similar to the larger cartridge pumps, there should be a few screws that hold the outer cover on the pump motor. You can start with these if yours has them. Be SURE to have it unplugged when you do, as there may be places you can get shocked (electrically, that is [darned I'm beginning to hate that word!]) inside the cover. With the cover off there may be a way to separate the pump from the basket, giving you access to the pump inlet.

I was able to remove a small amount of debris from the impeller area, but it was no help with the noise.

Unfortunately one of the screw/nuts that holds the housing over the impeller area is impossible to remove. It just gets stuck before the bolt comes free from the nut, and I'm stripping it trying to get it any further.

This is what it sounds like. Bad bearing possibly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJg6Q_uEcbc

That does sound like bearings going out.

I doubt that you will be able to find repair parts for it.

How old is the unit?

You might look around for someone in your area getting rid of an Intex pool that you could maybe buy what you need from them. But then again, you may be buying someone else's problems.

Another option would be to keep working at removal of the motor and see if you can replace the bearings.

Shouldn't have been excessive.

If the bearings are ball or roller, you might be able to find replacements at a bearing store if you have one in your area.

From what I've heard and read, some Intex products can have quality control issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently had the same deal as you as far as my Intex 2500gph pump started making noise and pumping action really went down too. Checked for obstructions and nothing so I knew it was bearings, so this year after I get back from vaction here in two weeks or so I will tear the pump down and see if replacement bearings are a possibility. I can't imagine that there is a problem with getting bearings, the problem will be the shaft seal that keeps the water leaking out of the pump if that get's damaged.

If you haven't done so, go ahead and unscrew everything and then you will understand what you are up against. I would order another pump, that will get you going then work on this one for a backup. I plan on getting USA or Japanesse bearings and NOT made in china bearings. I was amazed at how small the actual impeller is and that it is capable of such flow as it has with basically a cheap, small, tiny impeller if that's what you even want to describe it as.

I will take pictures of the overhaul so that if anyone else wants to tackle this they can.

Bob E.

I purchased an Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump.

My pump runs 24/7 during pool weather.

I have had the same problem this year. I am on my 4th pump from Intex, they never lasted more than 3 weeks before the bearing started to growl loudly.

I disassembled (20 minutes) the pump motor removed the (2) C&U 6000RZ bearings
Structure: Deep Groove
Type: Ball
Bore Size: 10 mm
Outside Diameter: 26 mm
Width: 8 mm
Seal: Rubber

I replaced the bearings with a F A G model from a local store for $8.49 each.

No problems in (3) months

OP, or anyone else who's had issues with their Intex Pump making grinding noises...did you get Intex to replace it or did you replace the bearings?

- - - Updated - - -

I purchased an Intex 56671EG 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump.

My pump runs 24/7 during pool weather.

I have had the same problem this year. I am on my 4th pump from Intex, they never lasted more than 3 weeks before the bearing started to growl loudly.

I disassembled (20 minutes) the pump motor removed the (2) C&U 6000RZ bearings
Structure: Deep Groove
Type: Ball
Bore Size: 10 mm
Outside Diameter: 26 mm
Width: 8 mm
Seal: Rubber

I replaced the bearings with a F A G model from a local store for $8.49 each.

No problems in (3) months

Hopefully you are still around to reply to this...where do you get the bearings?
Do we just go in and tell our local hardware store what you listed above?

Did a quick search last night and came across some YouTube video's of the teardown and replacement of the bearings (from Amazon)

Intex Pool Pump Teardown - Video 1

Intex Pool Pump Teardown - Video 2

Intex Pool Pump Teardown - Video 3

uxcell 6000RZ Shielded Deep Groove Radial Ball Bearing 10 x 26 x 8mm from Amazon

--

Did you have luck with your bearing replacement? Am asking since I've had mine running for nearly 3 weeks and now its doing the humming noise too and wondering if this is what I need to try.

I 'might' can return it, but if the bearings solve it, might be a better solution for me.

--

Did you have luck with your bearing replacement? Am asking since I've had mine running for nearly 3 weeks and now its doing the humming noise too and wondering if this is what I need to try.

I 'might' can return it, but if the bearings solve it, might be a better solution for me.

Bringing up this old post hoping that someone still remembers it. I have the model 28679EG and my bearings I think just went out. It was making a lot of noise and now it's just humming and not starting the pump. The impeller free spin's with no issues, but when power is applied it can't move. I"m okay with trying to replace the bearings like the other post said, but don't know what size for my model and can't find anything online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bringing up this old post hoping that someone still remembers it. I have the model 28679EG and my bearings I think just went out. It was making a lot of noise and now it's just humming and not starting the pump. The impeller free spin's with no issues, but when power is applied it can't move. I"m okay with trying to replace the bearings like the other post said, but don't know what size for my model and can't find anything online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The bearing itself should have a number on it.

OP, or anyone else who's had issues with their Intex Pump making grinding noises...did you get Intex to replace it or did you replace the bearings?

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully you are still around to reply to this...where do you get the bearings?
Do we just go in and tell our local hardware store what you listed above?
Any updates on what kind of store and what to ask for when purchasing the bearing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.