Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to evaluate Chlorine generator output

1. Back To Top    #1

Columbia, SC

how to evaluate Chlorine generator output

I have a hayward prologic system and the main board was recently replaced. There are no errors showing. We just had several days of rain and the chlorine generator has been set at 50% running 24 hours a day. I tested the chlorine level today and it is negligible. Does this seem right? If I let it keep running will the level rise? How can I test the system?
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: how to evaluate Chlorine generator output

The chances are very high that there is some problem with your chemical balance. It would help greatly if you could post a complete set of water test results.

The odds are very very high that the SWG is working just fine. However if you must, you can test it by measuring the FC level in the pool and then measuring the FC level of the water coming out of the SWG cell while the cell is active. The simplest way to do this is to open the union nut on the output side of the SWG just enough that it leaks a little and gather a water sample there while the cell is activated. The FC level coming out of the cell should be higher than the FC level in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: how to evaluate Chlorine generator output

If the FC is too low you need to raise it immediately with liquid chlorine.

You can loosen the downstream cell union a bit and grab a sample right out of the cell and test it. If it's higher than the pool water, the cell is working.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit