Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another stain thread....

1. Back To Top    #1

Miami Beach, FL

Another stain thread....

I have recently developed some metal stains while in the shock process....

Vit C tablets dramatically improve them. They are about 30 in number. They are quite small. I am not eager to lower my FC, since I just shocked my pool and it looks very good both by tests and eye.

I was thinking of fixing them one by one either by putting my dive gear on and rubbing them away with the vitamin C tablets or using the sock technique. Should I use a sequestering agent first? Any suggestions on the best one?

Thanks in advance.
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Another stain thread....

If you only have a small total area with stains, then using vitamin c/ascorbic acid in a sock applied directly to the stained area is just fine.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

You can add sequestrant now, or shortly after. Just make sure your PH is relatively low (7.2ish or a little lower) while doing the stain removal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School