Added DE to Sand Filter - Question/Observation

Ok, been using TFP for a long time (above ground pool) on my second year with my inground SWG pool (details in sig) no issues water is crystal clear.

Pool has been open for a while, it was given a very detailed cleaning prior to adding DE to filter. I slowly added DE and ended up at the 1.5 cup mark for my 1lb of pressure rise. Water was very clean, floor spotless.

It appears that the water may be slightly cleaner but I have also noticed that some extra dirt and other small trash on the bottom. It appears that adding the DE has somehow helped these things fall out of suspension as opposed to floating in the water. I may just be nuts or have some other cause for this to be happening but I do not know what it is. Is this normal or possible?

Water looks fantastic BTW. I will post up some pictures later. :cheers:

Oh and just because I should...

Temp 76
FC 3.5
CC .5
PH 7.6
CH 60
TA 40 little low going to bring it up
CYA 40 adding some now to bring it up to 55 to test next weekend
Borates 20 or so, need to add to bring it back up
Salt 3200

Had a lot of dilution this winter and even more this spring.

bacpck said:
I don't think it is DE, I know it is staying in the filter it just seems to me that it was stuff floating suspended in the water. It has filtered something out of the water as I had a pressure rise and had to backwash.
[center:16t8eegt]Ah hah! We have a clue!
file.php

I'll bet you didn't backwash long enough or rinse long enough and spit that stuff back into the pool.
The only thing the DE did was force you to backwash sooner.[/center:16t8eegt]

Rofl great picture

It was on the bottom prior to the backwash.. I had to pull 5 inches of water of the pool, I am fairly certain that I backwashed and rinsed it thoroughly.

It is not a lot of stuff at all just seems to be a bit of extra dirt and stuff on the bottom. Now I did adjust my returns and it could be that it is just collecting differently on the bottom.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I would think it is better. I can see very little difference in the water (as it was very clear to begin with). I do however think i can see the bottom better, the seam lines on the liner seem much more visible after the addition of the DE.

I have been filtering something extra out of my water as I have had to backwash. I usually only backwash once a year, with the use of the cleaner that has its own basket I rarely get a pressure rise in my filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bacpck said:
I would think it is better. I can see very little difference in the water (as it was very clear to begin with). I do however think i can see the bottom better, the seam lines on the liner seem much more visible after the addition of the DE.

I have been filtering something extra out of my water as I have had to backwash. I usually only backwash once a year, with the use of the cleaner that has its own basket I rarely get a pressure rise in my filter.
The big test is at night, when the light picks out all the floaters for you to see.

Richard320 said:
bacpck said:

The big test is at night, when the light picks out all the floaters for you to see.

Richard, I agree. I will throw the light on tonight and see what I get and thank you for the compliment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.