Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purple Creepy Crawler

1. Back To Top    #1

Purple Creepy Crawler

I'm in the middle of a complete drain/refill because of super high CYA levels (see my topic below if you want context).

One of the things that worried me was a purple, crystalline substance that has formed on my plastic pool equipment. I can slowly get some of it off if I scrub hard with a washcloth. I want to know: (a) what is it? (is it copper? another metal? something else?) and (b) how diligent should I be about trying to get it off the creepy crawly before I put it back in the new water?

Did I mention that it's like 107 degrees here? I'm worried about the plaster in my pool (I was supposed to fill it last night, but because the drain pump had a leak, I couldn't begin the fill until this morning. I've been trying to wet the sides of the pool as it fills, but the heat and sun just dries it up in a matter of seconds.

Here's a picture of my creepy tube, the purple part and a part that I have scrubbed down for contrast. Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tucson, AZ, ~20k gal., IG pebble, sand filter, pentair variable pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Upstate South Carolina

Re: Purple Creepy Crawler

In your other post you said you were adding copper based algaecide

That maybe what you are seeing on your equipment
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP