Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tea bag/yellow to light brown stain.

1. Back To Top    #1

Tea bag/yellow to light brown stain.

Hello, this will be my first post. These are my test results:
    FC 2.4
    TC 2.4
    PH 7.5
    AK 90
    CYA 60
    Calcium 300
    TDS 3300
    The water is clear.
    12,000 gallons.

When opening the pool this spring we had pond water. Throughout the winter sometimes smelled like rotten eggs. The pool is 4' deep all one level and you could not see the bottom. The color then was green. I used bleach like I always do in the spring and changed the water to opaque color and cloudy. Added powder shock to the pool and after several days we had clear water. I then balanced the pool and shortly there after the yellow to light brown/tea bag stain showed up on the steps and in the corners. Eventually some on side walls.

I used vitamin C to determine what to use and yes the Vitamin C worked. I used 1.75 lbs of Satin Free and it immediately got rid of the stain. Followed that with a half of a bottle of Metal Free. It's been about two weeks and now it has come back. Frustrated I took a sample in to check for metals. Results were .0002 on copper and big 0 on iron. That's the confusing part cause I am treating it as a metal stain but no metal is showing on the test. Getting ready to treat again with Stain Free followed by a full bottle this time of Metal Free.

Bottom line is why has it returned and what else can be done? I don't wont this expense of continuing to treat it. I want the problem solved. Please Advise.
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    3 HP Intelliflo Variable Speed
    Pentair Quad DE Filter
    Intellichlor IC 40, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tea bag/yellow to light brown stain.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not too good at dealing with metal issues, but you may need to realize that a sequestrant is not a 1 time addition. It breaks down and you have to add more or the stains will return.

pool-school/metal%20stains
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So would I use the Metal Free as maintenance to prevent the stain?
    Otherwise I would have to drain it and refill it?
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't think Metal Free is one of the sequestrants we recommend ... the article lists the ones with the ingredient we recommend.

But, yes, you would have to keep adding it as a maintenance item ... how much and how often, I am not sure. But I think there is a way to test the level in the pool.

Assuming you were filling with water with no metal in it, theoretically, after lifting the stain and then draining the water, the metal would be removed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, mjurkowski

Quote Originally Posted by mjurkowski
    So would I use the Metal Free as maintenance to prevent the stain?
    JL mentions metal free here:
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Metal Free is not in this group and is noticeably less effective. It does work, just not nearly as well.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok thanks. I just have not had this issue since it was installed in 08. Mainly frustrated as to why it didn't show up on the test yesterday and where did this metal issue come from?
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Made a ton of phone calls today. Is there truth to your water not showing a reading for iron because its stuck to your wall as the stain?
    Last night I treated with Stain Free and scrubbed with vitamin C. Tonight it is crystal clear and my next action will be to hold down my chlorine, PH on the low side and AK at about 90. treat with a maitanance product. At first sign of the stain coming back I wont fight it. I will get rid of it and drain the pool. I had my tap water tested today and its clear of any metals.
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I don't wont this expense of continuing to treat it. I want the problem solved.
    Then water replacement is your only course. Sequestrants never remove metals....only suspend them.

Like you, I would try to find the source. Do you fill from a well? City Water? It seems that without knowing the source, it's hard to figure out what to do next.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

It would be city water. Interesting thing is last night late whole browsing the web I c the culater product 1.0 n 4.0. Claims r it can remove low levels of metals. Have u heard about it? What the heck I'll try it! I vacuumed to waste last night n cleaned my sand filter. Check chemicals tonight when I get home.
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

For threads on the culater, use google, bottom left of each page.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I am close to draining my pool

I am close to draining my pool. I don't have time to monitor everything. I just discovered the cluster product last night and expect delivery by this weekend. Will report back later my results.
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I changed out half of the water. While the level was down we cleaned with vitamin c and bar keepers friend. Filled back up on second day and the pool looks great! I have a c u later in the skimmer. Chlorine is 2. PH at 6.9, 80 on my ask and 60 on my cya. I am planing on keeping my chlorine and pH on the low side. I've backed off the swg to 20%. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Ak is 80. My phone trying to correct me. Lol
    12K Gal
    IG SWG Fiberglass
    Pentair Quad DE Filter