Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which way should I go????

1. Back To Top    #1

Which way should I go????

Pool looks good but there is no FC or CC. Here are results using my TF100 kit:

FC=0
    CC=0
    PH=7.4
    PH=7.6
    TA=80
    CH=vinyl pool
    CYA=30
    Salt 2900

Had one pool store tell me I needed stabilizer and another said I had ammonia and needed to shock. I'm not even sure how you know if you have ammonia or not???? Anyway, I have an autopilot set to medium power and 65% output with pump running about 10 hours a day. So maybe I do have some organics that are eating my chlorine or maybe my salt cell (SC-60) is on it's last leg. This is the fifth season and I'm not sure if they degrade over time or just quit. I thought I would seek some advice about which way to go before I go load up on bleach at Sam's Club. Thanks in advance!
    inground liner Grecian "L"
    26000 gallons
    1 HP whisperflo, TA100 sand filter
    Autopilot digital SWG, SC-60 cell
    Hayward Colorlogic LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which way should I go????

Raise your FC to normal level for a CYA of 30 for now (4 ppm FC) with bleach then do an overnight chlorine loss test OCLT , if you maintain FC all is good and then you can worry about getting your CYA up to the 40-50 ppm suggested range (depending on amount of sunlight, etc.) If you fail the OCLT then you need to follow the shock procedure which will cure the FC loss regardless if it is caused by organics or by amonia.

Ike

p.s. be ware advice from pool stores
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Certainly appreciate the quick response and the sound advice! Thanks for the help!!!
    26000 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I am going to have to clarify Isaac a bit. I would raise the FC up to around 10ppm with bleach. Leave the pump on, turn the SWG off, and perform the OCLT.
    If you fail, then you need to go through the shock process.
    If you pass, then you can raise the CYA up toward the 60-80ppm recommended for SWG pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Without knowing more history of the situation, on further thought I would agree with Jason's slightly mroe aggressive FC level prior to getting the results from the OCLT.

Oops sorry I missed the SWG for the CYA level, what I get for multi tasking at work, however if your SWG is dead and you are not going to replace it right away the lower CYA level for conventional pools still stands.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I took the initial advice...sort of(raised my FC to 6 by accident)...and ran with it. Maybe the results will not matter. I did not run the pump. This morning, FC is 3.5 so apparently something is eating my chlorine. So at this point is it better to go ahead with the shock process or should I do as later suggested and raise the FC to 10 tonight and do the overnight test with the pump on and the SWG off?

Thanks!
    26000 gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I would start the shock Process. It apparent you are losing FC at night which indicates organics in your pool that need to be shocked out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks duraleigh.....just make sure you send out the refills I ordered yesterday. Between clearing up a swamp when we opened back in April and now this, Im blowing through the chlorine test materials
    26000 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

This is the third day I've kept my pool at shock level and it is still losing chlorine. Water looks fantastic but have lost from 12 down to 8 in about 4 hours. Did not pass the OCLT Wednesday night or last night. Do I have to stay at this until I pass the OCLT? I mean keeping at shock level until I can check overnight? The manager at Sam's Club just offered to deliver my next purchase of bleach!
    26000 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

The OCLT is what determines if something is still on the water ... pretty important.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

OK....but what could possibly still be in there ....alive.... after 3 days at high chlorine levels? Just wondering, hopefully tonight will be the night all is good
    26000 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you been brushing frequently and circulating the water with the pump and filter running? Its more than just pouring the bleach in.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

Sure have....
    26000 gallons