12 Year Old Inground Gunite - Patch Marcite?

May 23, 2013
Rockwood, Michigan
Hi Folks.
I have a 12 year old pool which is in great condition with the exception of about a dozen spots (some the size of a quarter, some up to the size of a pickle jar top) where the cement is starting to peek through the marcite top coating. Wear and tear over the years combined probably with areas where the contractor didn't quite get a good thick coat of marcite applied when originally done. I understand it would cost about $6K - $8K (pool size roughly 18x36 with 7' deep end) to have the marcite coating redone. It doesn't look bad enough for me to take that drastic of a step, and I do understand that a contractor (or me) could patch these spots with the water drained....but I'm wondering if there is some product out there that I can patch or cover somehow without draining the water.
Anybody know of some product or idea that would work?
Thanks.

My husband says look for epoxy that can be used under water. Like you would use on boats? He says it will be VERY tricky and not sure at all with how it would look. He has never used anything like it but has seen it when in the boat places like West Marine.

Just throwing it out there.

Kim

kimkats said:
My husband says look for epoxy that can be used under water. Like you would use on boats? He says it will be VERY tricky and not sure at all with how it would look. He has never used anything like it but has seen it when in the boat places like West Marine.

Just throwing it out there.

Kim

My pool has one small boo-boo I tried to fix this way with white epoxy called Marine-Tex. This is good stuff and rated for underwater. Problem was, it would always stick to whatever was used to apply it (Hyde knife, finger, tongue depressor, whatever) and never to the pool. Drove me nuts. I'm going to have to drain about four feet to fix it, I fear.

Husband says you have to scuff up where you want to put it. To apply it use something like a car body spatula. Something smooth and flexible.

He says it IS hard to work with. He has never done it underwater though so.....

Kim

Yeah, I'm getting a few spots too, along with some places where the grout is missing between a couple of the decorative trim tiles at the waterline. Both of my "bare" spots are about 3-4 feet deep, so I reckon I'll be needing to drain the pool a good bit too. It'll be my first time doing that... guess I'd better replace that old deteriorated drain hose first! :oops:

[center:2umllryi]
Pool (p?l): n. a hole in the ground into which one throws vast sums of money
[/center:2umllryi]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.