Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12 Year Old Inground Gunite - Patch Marcite?

1. Back To Top    #1

12 Year Old Inground Gunite - Patch Marcite?

Hi Folks.
    I have a 12 year old pool which is in great condition with the exception of about a dozen spots (some the size of a quarter, some up to the size of a pickle jar top) where the cement is starting to peek through the marcite top coating. Wear and tear over the years combined probably with areas where the contractor didn't quite get a good thick coat of marcite applied when originally done. I understand it would cost about $6K - $8K (pool size roughly 18x36 with 7' deep end) to have the marcite coating redone. It doesn't look bad enough for me to take that drastic of a step, and I do understand that a contractor (or me) could patch these spots with the water drained....but I'm wondering if there is some product out there that I can patch or cover somehow without draining the water.
    Anybody know of some product or idea that would work?
    Thanks.
    Pool: 24,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Pump, Year 2000 Install, Polaris auto vacuum, Lochinvar Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12 Year Old Inground Gunite - Patch Marcite?

My husband says look for epoxy that can be used under water. Like you would use on boats? He says it will be VERY tricky and not sure at all with how it would look. He has never used anything like it but has seen it when in the boat places like West Marine.

Just throwing it out there.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats
    My husband says look for epoxy that can be used under water. Like you would use on boats? He says it will be VERY tricky and not sure at all with how it would look. He has never used anything like it but has seen it when in the boat places like West Marine.

Just throwing it out there.

Kim
    My pool has one small boo-boo I tried to fix this way with white epoxy called Marine-Tex. This is good stuff and rated for underwater. Problem was, it would always stick to whatever was used to apply it (Hyde knife, finger, tongue depressor, whatever) and never to the pool. Drove me nuts. I'm going to have to drain about four feet to fix it, I fear.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Husband says you have to scuff up where you want to put it. To apply it use something like a car body spatula. Something smooth and flexible.

He says it IS hard to work with. He has never done it underwater though so.....

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I'm getting a few spots too, along with some places where the grout is missing between a couple of the decorative trim tiles at the waterline. Both of my "bare" spots are about 3-4 feet deep, so I reckon I'll be needing to drain the pool a good bit too. It'll be my first time doing that... guess I'd better replace that old deteriorated drain hose first!

[center:2umllryi]
    Pool (p?l): n. a hole in the ground into which one throws vast sums of money
    [/center:2umllryi]
    -Austin
    15,000 gal (I think) sort of "hexagonal dogbone" shaped pool built in 1996
    Hayward Super Pump, Cartridge type filter, 1HP motor (new as of 31 August 2013)
    Hayward Aquadroid cleaner (original model) totally rebuilt except for shell in last year or so

[center:1mx1gn4d]Pool (p?l): n. a hole in the ground into which one throws vast sums of money[/center:1mx1gn4d]

[center:1mx1gn4d]Since I'm always asked:[/center:1mx1gn4d]
    [center:1mx1gn4d]* * * * * * * * * * * *How's the weather in FL?[/center:1mx1gn4d]