Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deco drain or channel drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deco drain or channel drain?

Hey all
    Went to the paver showroom today and have to decide on deco drain or channel drain. Channel drain is about $300 more. We will have a screen and obviously a gutter on the screen so any opinions on which one?
    - Vanessa
    Almost done! 15x30 IG 3ft-8ft deep | SWG | Spa w/ 400K Natural Gas heater | Blue Granite Pebble sheen | JEP 1.5 VS pump | DE Filter | White/Tan/Charcoal Brick Pavers | Bronze Screen | Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deco drain or channel drain?

Deco drain does not have removable grates, the channel drain does - wondering if everyone cleans theirs a lot? We won't have to clean out leaves etc. It DOES drain more water, and we DO live in Florida where it rains a lot. Anyone in the South run into the deco drain not being enough drainage?
    - Vanessa
    Almost done! 15x30 IG 3ft-8ft deep | SWG | Spa w/ 400K Natural Gas heater | Blue Granite Pebble sheen | JEP 1.5 VS pump | DE Filter | White/Tan/Charcoal Brick Pavers | Bronze Screen | Solar Panels

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Deco drain or channel drain?

VB,
    We're in South FL.
    Our drain runs along part of the back of the house wall at the base where it meets the pool patio, and along the outside edge of our covered patio, probably about 50 feet in total.
    It's been there 25 years, long before we moved in, and to my knowledge no one has ever tried to remove it or clean it.
    I don't even know if the top is removable. I don't think it is.
    We've had storms and hurricanes, and I've always seen the runoff water exiting out the opposite ends of the drain into the garden beds that surround the pool and patio. Our house has neither flooded nor sunk into the wet sandy soil either!
    Hope that helps.
    Alan
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!