Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Growth possible while still passing OCLT?

1. Back To Top    #1

Growth possible while still passing OCLT?

Subject stays it. I always get some dense very localized dark green growth in seams where stairs meet liner and around pool light another seam crevice. A quick brushing breaks it up and vanishes.

I assume this is due to low circulation/debris collection here. Anyway this is first year of BBB method and thought (hoped) I may not have the issue this year. Full disclosure I haven't been brushing and I probably should do it more regularly, but pool is crystal clear otherwise.

FC has been consistently around 8 or bit more with CYA level of about 50-60. FC consumption doesn't seem out of line and I pass the OCLT. Yet this stubborn stuff still seems to be able to grow.

Normal and have to live with it? Or start shocking?
    ~15k gal oasis shape, IG vinyl, 2 speed superflow 1HP ~6' above pool level, pentair TA60D 60GPM/325# sand, built 2004, intermatic 1353 and stenner chlorine injection pump, dolphin robot, and a filthy light niche

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Growth possible while still passing OCLT?

Full disclosure I haven't been brushing and I probably should do it more regularly,
    Bazinga

It is almost impossible to keep chlorine perfectly distributed in a pool. Brushing gets the nasties up out of their nooks and crannies and exposes them to the more active areas of chlorine and they vanish.

I wouldn't shock but I would sure stir them up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Growth possible while still passing OCLT?

Can you aim the return eyeballs that way to keep stuff from settling there?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!