Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Exactly why I searched and found this website years ago.

1. Back To Top    #1

Exactly why I searched and found this website years ago.

This guy reminds me of the reason I found this website. My local pool gal seemed like a knowledgeable enough person to trust but when I asked the question “why can’t I hold chlorine?” she gave me the reason. “Some years pools just act differently and this year I’m seeing a large number like yours, you just have to add more chlorine and make sure your tablet feeder stays full”.

Is he ignorant in the link between CYA and chlorine or smart enough not to let people know??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8De1RaQAKc
    Ponduke
    20,000 gal/ Fiberglass IG/ Sta-rite s7m120 cartridge filter/Sta-rite SR400NA 400,000 btu heater/Polaris 360 Cleaner/K-2006 Test Kit
    poolcalculator
    Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Exactly why I searched and found this website years ago.

I started to watch the vid, noticed the TABLE FULL of chemicals, and shut it off.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow what a mix of dated, and questionable information with a few truths sprinkled in the mix.

Typical pool store method, any problem is solved by a one time dose of something, if that does not work, do a bigger one time dose, and if that does not work, keep dumping in stuff until it gets better.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Shock every 1 to 2 weeks huh?
    I haven't shocked a single time since discovering TFP, and my CC's have never been above 0.5 PPM. Never been cloudy. Never had algae.
    Too bad, because up until that point, he explanation of chlorine / chloramines was relatively accurate.
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you know if you have a "chlorine breakpoint" situation you need to raise the the Free Chlorine level to 10X the current chlorine level. So, if you are at 3 PPM you need to go to 30PPM.

Also, you "Cannot OVER SHOCK" your pool.

Monopersulfate shock sounds very expensive.

Interesting mix of good and bad.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

wow .....

chlorine demand test

gassing off

and no mention of cya level

and he earns a living doing this ... i have given some serious thought to starting a pool maintenance business

at the end he gets into the fact that he is a pristine blue guy .....

i have all of 3 years experience with a pool and i can tell you for an absolute fact that the screws in my bottom drain are phillips head

nuff said?
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

Really. What would you expect from a pool chemical salesman? The truth? Hardly!

Watched about 3 min of his drivel. That's all I could stand of it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I lasted 1 min 45 sec. He gave me the itch.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

9. Back To Top    #9

I only got as far as why a weekly shock is necessary. Didn't note the time; don't want to go back and look at it again to see how long that was.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Poor misguided man.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

11. Back To Top    #11

Poor? I think rich from selling people a bill of goods in pool care!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Really. What would you expect from a pool chemical salesman? The truth? Hardly!
    My original point was that this is the level of information everyone pretty much gets from all their local pool guy. For the life of me I don't understand how people maintain their pool w/o knowing the information we all know here.

Dumb luck I guess...
    Ponduke
    20,000 gal/ Fiberglass IG/ Sta-rite s7m120 cartridge filter/Sta-rite SR400NA 400,000 btu heater/Polaris 360 Cleaner/K-2006 Test Kit
    poolcalculator
    Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Poor? I think rich from selling people a bill of goods in pool care!
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm a new pool owner who had a green pool at the end of April
    I found this website and I have never looked back
    I haven't shocked since then

The one and only time I went into a pool store was just to see if they had some calcium to raise my ch some
    Felt like they were looking down their noses at me when i told them I do all my own testing

Now I'm trying to get my brother in law to come here and see the truth about pool care
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKid
    I'm a new pool owner who had a green pool at the end of April
    I found this website and I have never looked back
    I haven't shocked since then

The one and only time I went into a pool store was just to see if they had some calcium to raise my ch some
    Felt like they were looking down their noses at me when i told them I do all my own testing

Now I'm trying to get my brother in law to come here and see the truth about pool care
    Invite him to the house. Water speaks louder than words.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bmann71
    Is he ignorant in the link between CYA and chlorine or smart enough not to let people know??
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Richard
    He has seen and been in the pool

He just said I'll keep doing it my way
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by bmann71
    For the life of me I don't understand how people maintain their pool w/o knowing the information we all know here.

Dumb luck I guess...
    Smaller pools, short swim seasons, water dilution from weekly backwashing sand filters and summer rain overflow can all prevent the CYA level from getting too high and if the pool is closed over the winter the CYA can drop further. Also, the water can be low in algae nutrients (phosphates and nitrates). Weekly shocking can partially make up for too low an FC/CYA during the week. Algaecides or phosphate removers are sometimes used. True luck would be not getting any algae spores into the pool at all, but is unlikely.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"