Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So long BBQG, hello TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

So long BBQG, hello TFP

Hi all,

Thanks to Greg Gunkel for giving me the heads-up on the new BBQ Island forum on TFP.

I've been a TFP subscriber for a while, but will definitely be back more frequently as this forum grows.

I'm nearing the completion of my project and have many pictures to post.

If anyone has advise on applying stucco, I'm all ears. I'm literally starting from scratch (pun intended) and have to learn everything before I start.

Todd.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Let us see your progress and help in any way!
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Here's a few pictures on the progress up to this weekend: http://www.lanslide.com/poolbar

The next step is the lath and stucco.

Props once again to Greg Gunkel for the awesome design idea of the illuminated glass blocks.

Todd

4. Back To Top    #4
    Very nice!

Switching to engineer mode: Do you have an electrical ground wire connected to one (or more) of those metal studs? If not, it would be a really good idea.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Very nice!

Switching to engineer mode: Do you have an electrical ground wire connected to one (or more) of those metal studs? If not, it would be a really good idea.
    Thank you.

For the low voltage wiring, no. Do I need one? I haven't hooked up the outlets and switches yet.

What's the safest way to ground to the studs?

Todd

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow your building a very nice oasis. Such talent!
    AGP, 21'x41'x52", Vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
    Very nice!

Thank you.

For the low voltage wiring, no. Do I need one? I haven't hooked up the outlets and switches yet.

What's the safest way to ground to the studs?

Todd
    For the LV, no, but if the transformer is there or you are adding outlets and switches, you should. Just in case a bare hot-wire were to contact the frame, it would trip the breaker rather than zap somebody leaning on the bar. I'd get a screw or bolt with a star-type lock washer to connect a ground wire someplace convenient.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8
    For the LV, no, but if the transformer is there or you are adding outlets and switches, you should. Just in case a bare hot-wire were to contact the frame, it would trip the breaker rather than zap somebody leaning on the bar. I'd get a screw or bolt with a star-type lock washer to connect a ground wire someplace convenient.
    I'm using GFCI outlets to be on the safe side. Would a ground to the studs still be a good idea, or do you think I'm covered with the GFCI?

9. Back To Top    #9

I know you were not asking me , but I would still ground the frame
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10
    I'm using GFCI outlets to be on the safe side. Would a ground to the studs still be a good idea, or do you think I'm covered with the GFCI?
    GFCI is certainly the way to go, but grounding is safer yet, and is probably required by code. Generally, anything conductive that has a good chance of becoming energized, must be grounded. It's cheap and easy to do, and will work in case a GFCI fails. Doubly so in a pool area where people and the floor are likely to be wet.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11
    GFCI is certainly the way to go, but grounding is safer yet, and is probably required by code. Generally, anything conductive that has a good chance of becoming energized, must be grounded. It's cheap and easy to do, and will work in case a GFCI fails. Doubly so in a pool area where people and the floor are likely to be wet.
    Can I simply come off an outlet's ground wire screw with a length of copper and attached it to a stud as you've described and that should take care of it?

'preciate the help.

12. Back To Top    #12

Can I simply come off an outlet's ground wire screw with a length of copper and attached it to a stud as you've described and that should take care of it?

'preciate the help.
    That should be good, but it might not be code. If you are using metal outlet boxes, the connection of the box MIGHT be good enough. I'm paranoid about grounding, as I've worked on 12KV systems before, and that much voltage will come out to meet you.
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13
    That should be good, but it might not be code. If you are using metal outlet boxes, the connection of the box MIGHT be good enough. I'm paranoid about grounding, as I've worked on 12KV systems before, and that much voltage will come out to meet you.
    The boxes are plastic.

How do you recommend I do the grounding?

14. Back To Top    #14
    The boxes are plastic.

How do you recommend I do the grounding?
    I'd just take the grounds as they go to the box and run them to a convenient spot on a stud nearby. Self drilling screws are really handy for this kind of connection.
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15
    I'd just take the grounds as they go to the box and run them to a convenient spot on a stud nearby. Self drilling screws are really handy for this kind of connection.
    And not ground them in the box, but directly to the stud?

16. Back To Top    #16
    Normally, the ground on the outlet/switch also goes to the metal box. With plastic boxes, that's not required. Just twist a piece of bare copper in with the incoming and outgoing ground and take it out the back of the box to the stud.
    TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Todd, island looks awesome! X2 what JohnT said, just screw one of your ground wires to the metal stud.

Greg
    41k pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS main pump, Jandy stealth 3hp water feature pump, Jandy stealth 3hp spa pump, Jandy LX 400 heater, Pentair 4000 DE filter, Jandy Aqualink RS controls, Jandy aquapure chlorine generator, 2 Pentair pool SAm lights, 1 Pentair SAl spa light. 4 Jandy deck jets, 1 Jandy sheer decent, Rico rock water fall.

18. Back To Top    #18
    Thanks Greg.

It's stucco time. Did you find some good info on the web when you did yours? Can you point me to good sources?

Todd

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: So long BBQG, hello TFP

In order to avoid a ground loop, run your AC ground to a steel stud at the end of the daisy chain of outlets. Your DC should not share this ground or you may produce an AC hum in any sound systems attached. Keep your low voltage DC floating.
    DrDave
    http://plansbyjorde.tripod.com
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention

20. Back To Top    #20

Re: So long BBQG, hello TFP

Good sound advice Dave! Todd, how did the dryvit work out?

Greg
    41k pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS main pump, Jandy stealth 3hp water feature pump, Jandy stealth 3hp spa pump, Jandy LX 400 heater, Pentair 4000 DE filter, Jandy Aqualink RS controls, Jandy aquapure chlorine generator, 2 Pentair pool SAm lights, 1 Pentair SAl spa light. 4 Jandy deck jets, 1 Jandy sheer decent, Rico rock water fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast