Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump on / off Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump on / off Question

My timer sets my pump to run at high speed from 1300 to 1900, and then turns it to low speed the remainder of the time. Is it necessary and/or detrimental to run the pump 24hrs a day?

I am new to this system and pool ownership, and have been told the pump we have is a very low energy pump. It is a Hayward Northstar, 2HP pump. I dont mind running it 24hrs a day if it is beneficial, but I dont want to waste money if it isn't necessary.

Looking for opinions on whether or not I should be manually turning it completely off at some point. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump on / off Question

That is likely way longer than you need to be running the pump, although the only thing that running it that long hurts is your wallet.

Read this:
    pool-school/pump_run_time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thank you for the link.

Was looking for something like that. Cant seem to set the timer to do an on / off schedule, just a low / high. Ill reinvestigate when I get home later.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there any reason to be running the pump on high, other than maybe to move water around more when trying to balance chemicals, etc?

It is a 30K gallon SWG pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

High speed might be needed for a suction cleaner, or if the skimming is not good enough on low.

If you only have 1 mechanical timer it may just be able to select speed and not power on/off. If you get the model, we may be able to figure out if you could change the wiring for the timer to just control on/off and you could maybe add a manual switch to select speed. Just leave it on low and only flip it on high when you are backwashing or vacuuming.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!