HELP PLEASE!! Edit: Pump Sucking Air!

G

Ok experts, need some help.

History: Pool was opened 2 years ago and cleared using BBB. Could not open last year, left it sit. Cover fell in, turned to swamp again.

This year, topped off, trying to clear, 3 days in. Per the TF-100 kit:

FC Shocking at 12

CYA measured 0, added 1.75lbs of stabilizer 3 days ago, measured around 20-25 but I know it takes a week to show up on tests

TA 150

PH measured high at 8.2, added the required acid but cannot measure again due to FC

For the first two nights, I added the required bleach per the calculator around 10pm, woke up at 9AM to 0 FC. For the first time today, woke up to 1 FC.

I have been vacuuming and drudging out the pine needles from the bottom daily. Yesterday I pulled out a dead squirrel from the bottom. I worked at it for a few hours until I was pulling up nothing from the bottom from everywhere and brushed the walls.

The water turned from brown to gray (and I mean gray, it looks like slate rock) on the first day but no change since.

I am testing 3-4 times a day and adding bleach after, cleaning filter as needed. I am burning through bleach like crazy but am gaining nothing. Visibility is not moving from about 2 inches then solid gray, no progress.

Any advice?

Re: HELP PLEASE!!

If the FC drops below 10 ppm, check the pH and lower it 7.2 before adding chlorine again. It is not clear if you measured the pH at 7.2 before you started. When the pH measures 8.2, it can higher than that and the amount of acid could be more than what you put in.

Seems like you are on the right track, but need to keep the FC at shock level as much as possible, might target 12 ppm while it is burning up the chlorine.

ping said:
If the FC drops below 10 ppm, check the pH and lower it 7.2 before adding chlorine again. It is not clear if you measured the pH at 7.2 before you started. When the pH measures 8.2, it can higher than that and the amount of acid could be more than what you put in.

Seems like you are on the right track, but need to keep the FC at shock level as much as possible, might target 12 ppm while it is burning up the chlorine.

I can't let the FC fall low so I can test the PH again AND keep the FC at shock level as much as possible. As I understand from pool school the PH has no bearing on getting the water clear, so I was going adjust the PH after the shock is over.

Others may not agree, but I would continue shocking if it were mine and worry about the pH later since you did add the calculated amount of acid. The pH does effect chlorine effectiveness, but that is better for another discussion. IMO you ought to be close enough to complete a shock. We know you need it, and I would say go on with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pH either, as long as you don't think it is real low (<7 or so). Stay the course, as long as you're still seeing high CC like that, there is a lot of stuff being killed. Could be a lot of things, but chlorine is the cure-all!! The more often you can test and re-dose, the quicker it will clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Since you had the FC at 9ppm (which is less than 10ppm), I would have then checked the pH and adjusted it back down to the low 7s. And then bumped the FC back up to shock level.

EDIT: Although re-reading looks like you added acid, but did not bother to check it before raising the FC. Check it is the FC drops low enough, but likely you are fine.

Brushpup said:
Others may not agree, but I would continue shocking if it were mine and worry about the pH later since you did add the calculated amount of acid. The pH does effect chlorine effectiveness, but that is better for another discussion. IMO you ought to be close enough to complete a shock. We know you need it, and I would say go on with it.

I didn't know this, it could have been higher than 8.2, that's just the max the test will report. What do you guys think, let it drop and check PH again? I had no idea PH effected chlorine.

jblizzle said:
Since you had the FC at 9ppm (which is less than 10ppm), I would have then checked the pH and adjusted it back down to the low 7s. And then bumped the FC back up to shock level.

EDIT: Although re-reading looks like you added acid, but did not bother to check it before raising the FC. Check it is the FC drops low enough, but likely you are fine.

Jbizzle can I get a good reading at 9FC? If so you think it is worth it to let it fall to that and adjust?

Im not a pro by any means but id shock the Crud out of. Higher than your 12. Thats what i did. Couple of days I was good. I also assume your pump has been running non stop. But with it being an above ground pool why dont ya drain it, clean and refill? Easier than an IGP

Yes you can get a good reading at 9ppm. In reality, reading the pH test immediately, should get you a pretty good result since you are just above the 10ppm "limit".

If you are at FC of 12ppm and the pH test does not look like 8.2, you are probably good. Being only a little high on the FC should not have a huge impact on the pH test.

Sack said:
Im not a pro by any means but id shock the **** out of. Higher than your 12. Thats what i did. Couple of days I was good. I also assume your pump has been running non stop. But with it being an above ground pool why dont ya drain it, clean and refill? Easier than an IGP

That is not the method we recommend. Doing so puts your pool and equipment at risk. Also most permanent AG pools can not be drained without putting the liner at risk.

Ok it dropped to 8 by the time I got off of work, retested PH showed 8.2 still, added 23oz if acid per the calc, how long do I need to wait before I can test again and get back up to shock level?

Edit I forget to adjust my TA in the calculator, it said I needed 40oz, added it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.