Tf100 test very different from pool store

May 8, 2012
I have cloudy water been working on it for about a week and yes it was a swamp. I can see bottom now but water is cloudy. took some water to pool store and they had FC at 6 but with test kit i get 10.5?

There test does go up higher than 5 they have tested the water up to 16 for me before when shocking and before i got my kit. I will do the overnite test tonight since it is still cloudy to see if i need to shock more or maybe need to put some DE in filter.

Pointless to do the OCLT when your pool is cloudy. The OCLT is used when your pool is crystal clear and you CC test result is .5 ppm or less.

Regardless of what Pool store reports or how high they can test, you must trust your own testing if you are to manage your own pool.

I read on one of the threads to do the OCLT test if you thought all algea was killed but water was not clearing? IF the FC level does not drop overnight would that not mean that you just have dead algea and debris floating in the water? and might need to clean out filt or put some DE in it to help filter out the smaller particles?

and might need to clean out filt or put some DE in it to help filter out the smaller particles?
You certainly need to keep your filter clean. Adding DE has it's place for very, very fine filtration but I would not use it to clear a pool that was obviously cloudy.

Far too often, we see newbs anxious to do the OCLT (often incorrectly) and when they "pass" they immediately let the FC go down and their problems continue.

You are welcome to do the OCLT at any point in the process but it should not be considered as an endpoint when you still have a cloudy pool.

So do I need to still be shocking the pool?
Fc 10.5
cc .5
cya 40
ph 7.2
according to my testing anyway.
That FC level is that high 2 days after putting in shock Sat night and tested yesterday.

I had cut the pump off one day last week to sihon off some water to get cya down some. Water cleared a good but with lots of debris on the bottom but when turn pump back on been cloudy every since?

You have finished the Shock Process when....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

If your pool is cloudy, you haven't finished. Get your FC back up to 16 or so and keep it there until your water is clear. This part takes patience and persistence. Brush often....brush up whatever you can as much as you can.....it may make the pool a bit cloudier at first but it's temporary. vacuum often and backwash/clean your filters as necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.