Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?

So from the reading I've done, is it accurately to conclude that the folks here highly recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?
    pool owner since 2012
    13-15k gallons, kidney shaped,in-ground plaster
    1970s construction, currently undergoing complete renovation
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by tmnt25
    So from the reading I've done, is it accurately to conclude that the folks here highly recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?
    Short answer: yes.

Long answer: We don't really care how you chlorinate your pool, provided the source you're using has no unwanted side effects. Pucks have their place. They're great for vacations. But they add stabilizer, lower pH, and lower TA while adding chlorine. Why buy pucks if you have to keep adding pH up and Alkalinity increaser? And as the CYA in the pucks builds up, the effectiveness of the chlorine gets reduced to the point of uselessness. And then comes the algae bloom the pool store can't cure no matter how deep they dig in your wallet. Here's just one such testimony: hi-new-member-why-didnt-anyone-tell-me-this-t62103.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I like to take my cya up from 20 to 30...could I do this with pucks? Do we know the numerical effect pucks have on cya?
    pool owner since 2012
    3 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 dedicated vacuum line, kreepy krauly great white, main drain

4. Back To Top    #4

I like to take my cya up from 20 to 30...could I do this with pucks? Do we know the numerical effect pucks have on cya?
    Yes. If you plug your pool size in at the top, then scroll waaaay down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, you can see what each 8 oz puck will do to your pool chemistry.
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Recommend against the chlorine tablets in the floatie?

Use the bottom of poolcalculator.com
    The effects of chemicals section will tell you what a puck (trichlor) will do to your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

you can buy conditioner/stabalizer and add a a little bit in a sock, then hang said sock in front of a return jet. Did this myself when I drained a month or so ago
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks, i didnt know that tool was down there in the pool calculator. Rather than buying stabilizer, i figure i might as well use the pucks i already have.

are there pucks that DONT add cya? My reason for asking is that my pool guy has been putting in pucks(different from the ones i have) over the last year and my CYA is only at 20...
    pool owner since 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Most pucks are trichlor that add CYA. There are some that are cal-hypo which add calcium, but they dissolve too fast and are not very common.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Most pucks are trichlor that add CYA. There are some that are cal-hypo which add calcium, but they dissolve too fast and are not very common.

hmm that's strange...i think i might be doing the CYA test wrong....I see that black dot until the whole container is full!

With over a year of pucks, it doesnt make sense that the CYA is so low.
    pool owner since 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

You get a lot of rain right? Have to drain the pool often? Could be diluting the CYA.

What do the rest of your tests look like? Sometimes the CYA is broken down by bacteria over the winter (not that you really have a winter).

And how are you testing?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You get a lot of rain right? Have to drain the pool often? Could be diluting the CYA.

What do the rest of your tests look like? Sometimes the CYA is broken down by bacteria over the winter (not that you really have a winter).

And how are you testing?
    I do get a decent amount of rain...maybe have to drain 2-3 inches once a month for 3 months during rainy season....

The rest of my tests look pretty consistent since i took over the pool duties 2 weeks ago. FC hasnt been dropping drastically, even after 3 people took a swim on a really hot day.

I'm testing with the TF100....indoors by an LED bright white light. pinch a penny tells me my cya levels are closer to 40-60....i get 20.
    pool owner since 2012

12. Back To Top    #12

The CYA test should be done outside with your back to the sun:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397

Lighting can affect the CYA test a good bit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator