Sand Filter Addition to an Intex SWG

Jul 11, 2011
I currently have an Intex SWG that came with a cartridge filter. It's one of those all in one filter, pump, chlorinator types. I would like to replace the cartridge filter with a sand filter. Has anyone done this and can share the procedure for doing this? Is this possible or do I need to buy a new sand filter/pump combo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bama Rambler said:
I may be possible depending on the unit you have. Post a pic of it and maybe we can tell you what's needed.

This is the intex pump/filter combo that I have. I basically want to replace that cartridge filter on the right with a sand type. Much lower maintenance as I understand it. The pump unit I have is rated at about 2500 GPH.

Attachments

• resource.jpg
    resource.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 49
The pump is rated for 2,000 gph. If there's a way to disconnect the filter from the pump you should be able to connect it to a sand filter and then connect the sand filter to the flow switch where the 90º ell is and it should work fine.

Bama Rambler said:
The pump is rated for 2,000 gph. If there's a way to disconnect the filter from the pump you should be able to connect it to a sand filter and then connect the sand filter to the flow switch where the 90º ell is and it should work fine.

Yes I believe there is a way to do this. I'll look at it once I get home.

Also I understand that the sand filter/pump units have an automated backwash cycle. Is this an automated function of the filter unit that will work the same if I simply attach it to my pump?

Btw, if you can recommend a relatively inexpensive one rated for the pump capacity, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks also for the quick replies......

techguy said:
I have never heard of an automated backwash on an Intex filter unless your name is Otto Mated (joke). i could be wrong.

Can you post the model number and brand details on the sand filter?

Not sure, my cousin's pool came with one and I thought he mentioned that it did. He could have been wrong also. I'll see if I can find out more from him.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.