Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex SWG FC question

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex SWG FC question

Just looking through the Intex SWG manual and it states to keep the FC at 0.4-1.5ppm. I am a little confused because I was under the impression that I wanted FC closer to 3? My FC is right on (0.4-1.5ppm) and my PH is right around 7.5, pool is crystal clear. I run the SWG 4 hours a day and the sand pump for 6. I am hesitant to add bleach and try to raise the FC cause my pool is looking so good?
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex SWG FC question

There are various systems of pool care. The Intex way of doing things is not compatible with our way of doing things. We have specifically chosen an approach that will give you the most reliable results for the least effort. Intex either hasn't thought things through or doesn't seem to mind if you get algae a couple of times a year.

You might need to run the SWG a little more each day, or more likely you need to increase your CYA level. We recommend CYA between 70 and 80 with a SWG. If you post a complete set of water test results we can give you more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CYA?

It's your pool, so you're free to do whatever you want. It may be clear now, but will it stay that way over the long haul?
    Keep in mind that the recommendations you find here are derived from real world experiences that will keep your pool clear and trouble free.

I wouldn't raise the FC with bleach, I'd just add a little run time to the swg and let it bring it up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for all the responses and I am well aware that the Intex way of doing things are not probably tailored to real world results. I am going to crank up the SWG and see what the FC level will be with a run time increasing by an hour each two days or so. I will try to post a full set of results soon. I think my chlorine is being depleted as fast as the SWG can produce it.
    Intex 18x48/2650 Sand/56601E SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Your Chlorine is depleting so fast probably because of your CYA level being to low. I was adding a gallon of bleach pretty much daily to keep any chlorine in mine until I got my CYA level up there it is kinda like a sun block for your chlorine.
    18' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, Intex Sand filter 2650gph pump with saltwater generator,lady bug automatic vaccum cleaner, Hydropools wide mouth skimmer, all hard plumbed 1.5" PVC