Need source for cellulose DE substitute

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
After reading a lot about DE and the two substitutes available, I've decided to give cellulose a try. Of course, there are different versions of that on the market (Fiber Clear, Purifiber, ZeoFiber; I hope I got those right) but I don't know what or where's the best place to shop for those. I doubt they would be in any retail locations where I'm at (Battle Creek, MI) and at a price I'm willing to pay, so can anyone give me some good online options? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually not a switch at all as I have yet to even use the filter and I've decided to use the cellulose products. After boning up here on the forum about the two (and the AquaPerl) I thought it might be better than D.E. (i.e. less bulky, safer to use/clean up, etc.). Cost-wise, if I can keep buying it for this price (comparable to 25 lb. of D.E.) it should be close to the D.E. I don't know, though, because I'm not sure how much "5 scoops) is going to weigh. Hopefully it'll be up and running this week. We'll see.

I switched from DE to cellulose fiber. It's subtle, but there does seem to be a slight difference in water clarity. It is safer to handle and bio degradable. It does cost a bit more and when it says on a 3 lb package that it equals 25 lb of DE, that's BS.

My neighbor loves what a handful added to his sand filter does for clarity. Unlike DE, you can also add it to a cartridge filter. DE would imbed itself in the filter ruining it, fiber doesn't.

Well, the solar panels are on their way, but the through-the-wall skimmer may have to be put on the front burner!

I took the time to connect the Hayward D.E./cellulose fiber filter this morning, and after monkeying around with it for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that the Intex over-the-wall skimmer cannot keep up with the demands of the Hayward pump. At least not with two girls splashing around in the pool. Sooo ... I would sure like to investigate using the PoolSkim, which actually works on the discharge side of the system, but then how will I induct the Fiber Clear into the filter? I see only a TTW skimmer as just about my only option.

As for the Fiber Clear, 5 full "scoops" came out to 13.5 oz., which would charge my filter at least 3 times with the 3-lb. bag. In the future, I think I'd start with 12 oz. and see if I could get four full charges. That would make it competitive with D.E. Seems like a really nice product. The filter is running at 11 p.s.i.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.