Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need source for cellulose DE substitute

1. Back To Top    #1

Need source for cellulose DE substitute

After reading a lot about DE and the two substitutes available, I've decided to give cellulose a try. Of course, there are different versions of that on the market (Fiber Clear, Purifiber, ZeoFiber; I hope I got those right) but I don't know what or where's the best place to shop for those. I doubt they would be in any retail locations where I'm at (Battle Creek, MI) and at a price I'm willing to pay, so can anyone give me some good online options? Thanks.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need source for cellulose DE substitute

I have bought cellulose at HomeDepot but I have seen it at Leslies and other places.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Amazon has almost everything, including all three of the brands you mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

At this point I'm leaning toward the 3-lb. bag of Leslie's own brand. Will be almost $30 shipped to my door. Will check to see how much D.E. is selling for at the local supermarket/mega-retailer.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

5. Back To Top    #5

Has anyone ever heard of/used this Pro Guard product from Amazon.com?

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Guard-23793BP ... lose+fiber

6. Back To Top    #6

The three pound bag is about $19 at my local HomeDepot. I have not looked at Lowes
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    The three pound bag is about $19 at my local HomeDepot. I have not looked at Lowes
    Went to my local Home Depot today (Kalamazoo, MI) and they don't carry it. I suppose I could start calling the pool stores. I might get lucky and it won't cost any more than to order it online.

8. Back To Top    #8

They offer free shipping to the store... Order this online, ship to store nearest you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pool-Time-3- ... bqZT8u9KSM
    -- Guy --

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    They offer free shipping to the store... Order this online, ship to store nearest you.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pool-Time-3- ... bqZT8u9KSM
    Thanks! Still weighing my options, though.

10. Back To Top    #10

I found Fiber Clear 3 lb. bag for $14.99+$6.95 S+H at Leisure Living (www.poolsupplies.com). Pretty happy about that. It says to use 4-1/2 super-accurate scoops (actually a plastic drinking cup included ) for 24 sq.ft. D.E. filter. Mine is 25, and with some reports that you need a little extra of the cellulose, I'm going to go with 5 scoops.

11. Back To Top    #11

Why are you switching from D.E powder? Just wondering.
    15,000 gal. IG chlorine pool
    DE filter
    2 pumps

12. Back To Top    #12

Actually not a switch at all as I have yet to even use the filter and I've decided to use the cellulose products. After boning up here on the forum about the two (and the AquaPerl) I thought it might be better than D.E. (i.e. less bulky, safer to use/clean up, etc.). Cost-wise, if I can keep buying it for this price (comparable to 25 lb. of D.E.) it should be close to the D.E. I don't know, though, because I'm not sure how much "5 scoops) is going to weigh. Hopefully it'll be up and running this week. We'll see.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I switched from DE to cellulose fiber. It's subtle, but there does seem to be a slight difference in water clarity. It is safer to handle and bio degradable. It does cost a bit more and when it says on a 3 lb package that it equals 25 lb of DE, that's BS.

My neighbor loves what a handful added to his sand filter does for clarity. Unlike DE, you can also add it to a cartridge filter. DE would imbed itself in the filter ruining it, fiber doesn't.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, the solar panels are on their way, but the through-the-wall skimmer may have to be put on the front burner!

I took the time to connect the Hayward D.E./cellulose fiber filter this morning, and after monkeying around with it for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that the Intex over-the-wall skimmer cannot keep up with the demands of the Hayward pump. At least not with two girls splashing around in the pool. Sooo ... I would sure like to investigate using the PoolSkim, which actually works on the discharge side of the system, but then how will I induct the Fiber Clear into the filter? I see only a TTW skimmer as just about my only option.

As for the Fiber Clear, 5 full "scoops" came out to 13.5 oz., which would charge my filter at least 3 times with the 3-lb. bag. In the future, I think I'd start with 12 oz. and see if I could get four full charges. That would make it competitive with D.E. Seems like a really nice product. The filter is running at 11 p.s.i.