DE Filter Pressure Lower than normal after bumping

heweydewey

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2013
Erie, PA
Hi,

Just a quick question - Usually my filter runs at 15psi. Its been steady at 15 for a few weeks (filter is always running 24/7) and I havent had to bump the filter since I got the pool opened and cleaned (it was a big green swamp!). We've had a couple heavy rains and I've drained the pool a few times but the pressure has always stayed at 15.

Overnight we had some heavy rain again and this morning it was a little higher, about 18 so I bumped it and now the pressure is at around 11. Is that normal for that to happen?

I have noticed that some DE getting back into my pool. Would that cause the drop in pressure after bumping? Like I said, its been at 15 this entire time.

I added two scoops of DE just in case so now the pressure is at around 12-13. I do plan on taking apart the filter to clean it and check for leaks, just wasn't planning on doing it this soon! I just figured the DE was residual from me bumping the pool so much during opening.

I have not had a leak in my Perflex but it sounds like one of the fingers/tubes is leaking. If your post bump pressure is low and it stays low and you are seeing DE in the pool, I would open it up and look at the tubes to see what's going on.

If you have any DE in the pool you didn't spill into to he pool, I think you have a blown cover. I think they are pretty inexpensive as a part. Labor may be different story.

I do have a question, if you have been running it 24/7 and never see any pressure increase you water must be perfect. I know if I have anything in the pool it ends up in the filter. I do have a pretty heavy surface load with all the junk I get on the surface. I don't often get need to run my pump for days at a time without needing to bump.

Same thought here, open it up and see if a finger is leaking, while you have it open you probably should give it a good cleaning, perhaps soaking the fingers in mild acid water solution if you have high calcium, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

The pressure slowly creeped back up to around 15 when I checked it this evening and looked like it was still slowly rising. I ended up backwashing and putting in new de and now it is running at 12 again. The only time it's ever run at 12 has been after I cleaned the fingers two years ago. Wasn't sure why it would run at 12 again without me cleaning it.

It looks like I have a weekend project now taking it apart to check and clean it! Any tips on how to correctly tighten all the bolts on the cover? I just remember it being a huge pain getting it back on without it leaking all over the place!

Techguy, yes running my filter 24/7 has made water really clear. Not sure why I started doing that last year but its worked out great. I also have our solar cover on all the time which probably helps keep alot of the dirt from falling in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.