Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Pressure Lower than normal after bumping

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Pressure Lower than normal after bumping

Hi,

Just a quick question - Usually my filter runs at 15psi. Its been steady at 15 for a few weeks (filter is always running 24/7) and I havent had to bump the filter since I got the pool opened and cleaned (it was a big green swamp!). We've had a couple heavy rains and I've drained the pool a few times but the pressure has always stayed at 15.

Overnight we had some heavy rain again and this morning it was a little higher, about 18 so I bumped it and now the pressure is at around 11. Is that normal for that to happen?

I have noticed that some DE getting back into my pool. Would that cause the drop in pressure after bumping? Like I said, its been at 15 this entire time.

I added two scoops of DE just in case so now the pressure is at around 12-13. I do plan on taking apart the filter to clean it and check for leaks, just wasn't planning on doing it this soon! I just figured the DE was residual from me bumping the pool so much during opening.
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter Pressure Lower than normal after bumping

I have not had a leak in my Perflex but it sounds like one of the fingers/tubes is leaking. If your post bump pressure is low and it stays low and you are seeing DE in the pool, I would open it up and look at the tubes to see what's going on.

If you have any DE in the pool you didn't spill into to he pool, I think you have a blown cover. I think they are pretty inexpensive as a part. Labor may be different story.

I do have a question, if you have been running it 24/7 and never see any pressure increase you water must be perfect. I know if I have anything in the pool it ends up in the filter. I do have a pretty heavy surface load with all the junk I get on the surface. I don't often get need to run my pump for days at a time without needing to bump.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Same thought here, open it up and see if a finger is leaking, while you have it open you probably should give it a good cleaning, perhaps soaking the fingers in mild acid water solution if you have high calcium, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies.

The pressure slowly creeped back up to around 15 when I checked it this evening and looked like it was still slowly rising. I ended up backwashing and putting in new de and now it is running at 12 again. The only time it's ever run at 12 has been after I cleaned the fingers two years ago. Wasn't sure why it would run at 12 again without me cleaning it.

It looks like I have a weekend project now taking it apart to check and clean it! Any tips on how to correctly tighten all the bolts on the cover? I just remember it being a huge pain getting it back on without it leaking all over the place!

Techguy, yes running my filter 24/7 has made water really clear. Not sure why I started doing that last year but its worked out great. I also have our solar cover on all the time which probably helps keep alot of the dirt from falling in the pool.
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter