Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air when Vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Air when Vacuuming

I have what seams to be a strange problem. When I go to Vacuum the pool I get air in the pump basket. This does not occur when I run the pool on the skimmer only position? It happens when I use the manual vac or the Creepy Krawly so unless I have holes in all of my hoses there is no way for air to get in? Any thoughts on why this may be happening?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air when Vacuuming

unless I have holes in all of my hoses there is no way for air to get in?
    I think you have a hole (holes) in your hose. By far, that is the most common thing when this issue is reported here on the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I assumed but it seams strange that my brand new 45' hose and the new suction cleaner hoses have holes. They are both fresh out of the box. I guess I just have bad luck or there is something else going on.

4. Back To Top    #4

When I bought my hose, I noted that the cuffs BOTH leaked. I have to keep both ends submerged for it to work without drawing air. Yours could have the same problem.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I checked that Charlie. Both ends are submerged one on the vacuum the other in the skimmer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Next logical thing to do is, submerge all of the hose and see if it's giving you the same air in the basket.

7. Back To Top    #7

As far as the floating hoses for manual vacuuming, my experience is: they ALL leak. If it still gets the job done, don't worry about it. I am one of the few that still sticks to manual vacuuming--I don't own a cleaner.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    As far as the floating hoses for manual vacuuming, my experience is: they ALL leak. If it still gets the job done, don't worry about it. I am one of the few that still sticks to manual vacuuming--I don't own a cleaner.

Very true.
    My Navigators hose has three or four lengths on the surface and I get numerous small bubbles in the pump window.