Cloudy blue water and brownish stiff again . . .

bjthon

Oct 29, 2011
Mebane, NC
Good Morning!

Been dealing with this problem for a few days. About 10 days ago, did my testing and found the CYA was very low so added stablizer to bring it up to about 25 - our second year, don't think it's ever been over 25.

Then the rains came. It's been very wet in central NC. pH got high at 8. The pool started to lose it's sparkle and couldn't see bottom of deep end. I vacuumed several times to no avail. I started shocking to 12 and it passed the OCLT for two nights. I did alot of brushing. It has cleared up somewhat but the deep end remains a bit cloudy and the sparkle is not there. And the brownish dirt remains. The shallow end looks good until it is brushed and then I can see that the brownish stuff is still there. I brought the pH down to 7.4. Thought I'd leave it there until I talked to TFP.
Here's my testing from this morning:

FC - 12
CC - 0
TC - 12
pH - 7.4
TA - 80
CH - 160
CYA - 25

After reading TFP about the problem of cloudiness and brownish dust on the floor of the pool, I can think of two things to do - vacuum to waste &/or add DE to filter. Before I try these things, is there anything I'm missing chemical-wise? Should I continue to shock? If so, after bringing FC down to 3, will the pool be safe to swim in even though still cloudy? Grandson is getting anxious! Thanking you in advance! Billie

I would keep the chlorine at 12 ppm 24/7 if possible. I would also run the pump 24/7. Continue to vacuum and brush often and I think you will see continual improvement....slow, perhaps, but continual.

Have you been backwashing the filter?

Yes, I had been backwashing the filter every time I vacuum. I did read on TFP that this wasn't necessary every time untill the pressure goes up. My pressure always stays at 20. But now that you mention it, lately a couple of times I backwashed, the water didn't look as dirty in the glass thingy as I thought it would. So, the last time I vacuumed, I didn't backwash. Hmmmmm.

You are doing the right thing. Only backwash when necessary (25% or so increase in psi). Just wanted to confirm you were backwashing.

So, vacuum when you can, brush that stuff back up into the water when you can and, most importantly, keep your FC up there at 12 ppm and I think your pool will clear soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.