Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going to take months to get balanced?

1. Back To Top    #1

Going to take months to get balanced?

On the last comment, I have fill water at pH 8.5 and TA ~250 !!!. (Coming from a well, and I tested our tap water, but I'll confirm on fill). Just using some rough rules of thumb, I'm guessing that to get to what I need, I'm going to be putting 10s of gallons of muriatic in the pool? And If I drop to 7.0 then aerate, thats going to take on the order of months to get balanced? Can this be right? And is there a faster way? I'll be doing this all summer...and get it done just in time to winterize...
    30000gal, IG, Painted concrete, ~1940. Current equip plan, comment welcome!
    Jandy SHPM2.0-2 2HP uprated (60ft/100gpm), Hayward S310T2 Pro Series Top Mount Sand 30in. (possible zeolite?), CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, 2 skim, 1 drain, 1 vacuum (Kreepy Krauly Kruiser).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: adjusting ph and ta

Quote Originally Posted by dbh369
    On the last comment, I have fill water at pH 8.5 and TA ~250 !!!. (Coming from a well, and I tested our tap water, but I'll confirm on fill). Just using some rough rules of thumb, I'm guessing that to get to what I need, I'm going to be putting 10s of gallons of muriatic in the pool? And If I drop to 7.0 then aerate, thats going to take on the order of months to get balanced? Can this be right? And is there a faster way? I'll be doing this all summer...and get it done just in time to winterize...
    Build an aerator. You can raise pH from 7.2 to 7.8 in a matter of hours. Then knock pH and TA down with acid and repeat.
    www.troublefreepool.com&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&e i=S2W2Uda8LIG2iwL4lYDQBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=930&bih=617]A few images.[/url]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Going to take months to get balanced?

With numbers like that you are an excellent candidate for an automatic acid feed system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Going to take months to get balanced?

Ha, found a$40 fountain for an aerator . Acid feeder, do they worth with muriatic? Well guy has been trying to sell me a citric acid one...
    30000gal, IG, Painted concrete, ~1940. Current equip plan, comment welcome!
    Jandy SHPM2.0-2 2HP uprated (60ft/100gpm), Hayward S310T2 Pro Series Top Mount Sand 30in. (possible zeolite?), CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, 2 skim, 1 drain, 1 vacuum (Kreepy Krauly Kruiser).