Question about the right cya level for my pool?

May 31, 2013
Hey guys been reading threw pool school and getting all the information I can to do the BBB style, so far my pool is clear and the fc level is around 6.5 to 8.5 on average. I test everyday with the tf-100 kit, great kit makes it so easy to know what is happening, but anyway I brought my cya level up to 40 by using the solid form of acid in a sock placed close to the skimmer. my question is that my pool is exposed to ten hours of sunlight a day and there no shade in the back yard @ anytime during the day. should I increase my cya level say to 60. I know on the chem geek's chorine/cya chart that a cya level of 70 should have a target level of 8.0 fc.right now I put a 1/2 gallon of bleach @8.25% every evening. when you have a cya level of say 60 is ok to fall a little short on the target fc or should it always stay right@ target level.

A higher CYA will lower the FC loss to the sun, so you should have to add less bleach every day.
You just need to make sure the FC stays above the minimum level for your CYA in the Pool School chart.

The danger of higher CYA is that the shock levels for FC are higher if a problem developed.

You want to stay in the target range a don't let fall below the min. Try raising your cya to 50 and see how your FC levels do. With all that sun exposure you want more cya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

ridgerunner said:
Hey guys been reading threw pool school and getting all the information I can to do the BBB style, so far my pool is clear and the fc level is around 6.5 to 8.5 on average. I test everyday with the tf-100 kit, great kit makes it so easy to know what is happening, but anyway I brought my cya level up to 40 by using the solid form of acid in a sock placed close to the skimmer. my question is that my pool is exposed to ten hours of sunlight a day and there no shade in the back yard @ anytime during the day. should I increase my cya level say to 60. I know on the chem geek's chorine/cya chart that a cya level of 70 should have a target level of 8.0 fc.right now I put a 1/2 gallon of bleach @8.25% every evening. when you have a cya level of say 60 is ok to fall a little short on the target fc or should it always stay right@ target level.
It still has to stay above the minimum, and the minimum increases with higher CYA. At 60 or 70 you're getting beyond the zone where you can just have a look at the color block - you'll need the FAS-DPD test every single time. Try 50 and see what happens. You can always add more, but removing it is a PITA.

The Pool Calculator is saying you are adding about 3 ppm of chlorine a day if the bleach is 8.25%. This is a little on the high side, not bad though. A little higher CYA and you will most likely lose only 2 ppm a day which is a good amount for a pool in the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.