Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about the right cya level for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about the right cya level for my pool?

Hey guys been reading threw pool school and getting all the information I can to do the BBB style, so far my pool is clear and the fc level is around 6.5 to 8.5 on average. I test everyday with the tf-100 kit, great kit makes it so easy to know what is happening, but anyway I brought my cya level up to 40 by using the solid form of acid in a sock placed close to the skimmer. my question is that my pool is exposed to ten hours of sunlight a day and there no shade in the back yard @ anytime during the day. should I increase my cya level say to 60. I know on the chem geek's chorine/cya chart that a cya level of 70 should have a target level of 8.0 fc.right now I put a 1/2 gallon of bleach @8.25% every evening. when you have a cya level of say 60 is ok to fall a little short on the target fc or should it always stay right@ target level.
    13,500 gallon, 24ft round pool, Hayward 1.5hp matix pump and sand master filter. treating with the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about the right cya level for my pool?

A higher CYA will lower the FC loss to the sun, so you should have to add less bleach every day.
    You just need to make sure the FC stays above the minimum level for your CYA in the Pool School chart.

The danger of higher CYA is that the shock levels for FC are higher if a problem developed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You want to stay in the target range a don't let fall below the min. Try raising your cya to 50 and see how your FC levels do. With all that sun exposure you want more cya.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner
    Hey guys been reading threw pool school and getting all the information I can to do the BBB style, so far my pool is clear and the fc level is around 6.5 to 8.5 on average. I test everyday with the tf-100 kit, great kit makes it so easy to know what is happening, but anyway I brought my cya level up to 40 by using the solid form of acid in a sock placed close to the skimmer. my question is that my pool is exposed to ten hours of sunlight a day and there no shade in the back yard @ anytime during the day. should I increase my cya level say to 60. I know on the chem geek's chorine/cya chart that a cya level of 70 should have a target level of 8.0 fc.right now I put a 1/2 gallon of bleach @8.25% every evening. when you have a cya level of say 60 is ok to fall a little short on the target fc or should it always stay right@ target level.
    It still has to stay above the minimum, and the minimum increases with higher CYA. At 60 or 70 you're getting beyond the zone where you can just have a look at the color block - you'll need the FAS-DPD test every single time. Try 50 and see what happens. You can always add more, but removing it is a PITA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

does adding a 1/2 gallon of bleach a day sound like to much for my size pool. I don't mind adding the bleach .
    13,500 gallon, 24ft round pool, Hayward 1.5hp matix pump and sand master filter. treating with the BBB method.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same size. I use a quart and a half on sunny days. With that much sun that's a normal amount. That's why I said to increase cya to 50

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks guys I shoot for a 50 cya level and go from there. I sure don't want to mess things up. everybody that comes to house brags about how good the pool looks. I Love this method. thanks guys

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds good. Just remember to raise in 10 ppm. Don't want to get too high. Like Richard said PITA to lower.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

The Pool Calculator is saying you are adding about 3 ppm of chlorine a day if the bleach is 8.25%. This is a little on the high side, not bad though. A little higher CYA and you will most likely lose only 2 ppm a day which is a good amount for a pool in the sun.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process