Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected guests

1. Back To Top    #1

Unexpected guests

I had a couple of unexpected guests today that wanted to swim and I couldn't tell them no.

18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unexpected guests

Are you prepared for higher chlorine usage?

Other than that, cute!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

They couldn't resist !! Puts some decoys in there and see what happens.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have their kissing cousins in my pool. The don't pay rent but they sure leave deposits.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

They're like... Nice pond!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I had some friends who had a pair of ducks, swimming on their winter cover, one spring. When they went to take the cover off, several weeks later, they had thousands of minnows swimming on their cover! It turns out, ducks carry fish eggs in their feathers! Who knew?
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP
    Hayward sand filter(need to look up the model #)
    1 HP Hayward pump(need to find the model on that too!)

7. Back To Top    #7

If they left minnows I am opening a bait shop.

jer7440,
    Nice choice in pool. You won't regret it. I love mine.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Glock! My install starts Friday! My pool is actually a Craigslist find. I paid $100 bucks for it and the wall and everything looks like brand new. My excavator starts digging Friday morning and I am doing the rest. Wish me luck! We bought the same Doughboy liner you have. I love the way it looks! I have read through your build about 12 times! I plan to post plenty of pictures. I want to document my decent into madness! LOL!
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP

9. Back To Top    #9

lol. You have my respect for doing it yourself. Not sure I could have done that. My installer was less than stellar but its been a good purchase. Its a great size pool too. Plenty of room. I will watch for your build thread.

10. Back To Top    #10

Awww, how cool. A nesting couple. Prepare for ducklings
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

11. Back To Top    #11

They were circling today but my 3 dogs kept them at bay. lol My neighbors 2 houses down have a pool too and I saw them land back in their yard. lol

12. Back To Top    #12

Well they came back this AM. I read online they mate for life and if they nest close by they will bring there chicks here and if they imprint on the pool I could have a whole flock within a season or 2. One person posted that firecrackers will scare them off. I don't have any but I reload ammunition so I have a couple of 9mm rounds that are just the primers in the brass, no bullet or powder so they sound like a really loud firecracker. I am contemplating popping them to scare them off but I went outside and the ducks just sit there and quack which makes me feel bad for wanting to run them off. Will they damage the pool or cause any harm other than using it for a port-a-potty?

13. Back To Top    #13

They seem cute now, but in the long run I imagine they will be quite dirty as far as your pool goes. I can't say for sure that they will cause "damage", but they will definitely up your chlorine usage.
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP

14. Back To Top    #14

Have you seen this thread?

how-do-i-get-rid-of-ducks-t43004.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

My labs would go completely crazy. I do have a few ducks that live close by and about 50 or so Mexican whistler s that fly over my house every day. I'm waiting for them to land in our pool.

OAN, I see your post cap is a solar light type. Is that the type from Home Depot. The $5 ones? If so how you like them.
    Sharkline 18'X40' Matrix 54 AGP, Sta-Rite T-210WF Hi-Rate Sand Filter, Sta-Rite 1.5HP JWPAS5F-2A4, Hayward AquaRite SWCG w/T-Cell 15 TurboCell, Confer Plastics STEP-1 Easy Access Above-Ground Pool Steps, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I have two of the Home Depot solar caps I installed last year. One was working last night. They do not make much light.

I think the other is in the shade too much or is no longer working.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I have two of the Home Depot solar caps I installed last year. One was working last night. They do not make much light.

I think the other is in the shade too much or is no longer working.
    Kinda what I read about them also. I would just use them for accent lighting on my catwalk and dock. Was thinking of running low voltage stair lights also.

Thanks
    Sharkline 18'X40' Matrix 54 AGP, Sta-Rite T-210WF Hi-Rate Sand Filter, Sta-Rite 1.5HP JWPAS5F-2A4, Hayward AquaRite SWCG w/T-Cell 15 TurboCell, Confer Plastics STEP-1 Easy Access Above-Ground Pool Steps, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

If I were going to run power to the stair lights, I'd just finish the job and add real lamps... or at least wire so I can add them later.
    -- Guy --

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry, just noticed the question about the lights. That was my wifes idea. The stairs are temporary. I built them. We are actually waiting on a guy to come give us a quote on a mini deck. Those lights suck. Only $5.00 each but that is $5.01 more than they are worth.

When the deck is complete I have a 12v - 26 light transformer w/timer and wiring that I will be using to install proper lighting. Buy once, cry once. Do it right the first time. I did not want these crappy lights but my wife insisted.

20. Back To Top    #20

Also, the ducks have not been back. Atleast not that I have seen. After reading that other thread from Ricky I will be more aggressive if they return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast