Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turcotte heat pump freezing up? Help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Turcotte heat pump freezing up? Help?

Hi!

I'm thankful to have found this site! It looks like a great place to both find and share information!

I just noticed that my Turcotte heat pump was freezing up. That never happened before. The only explanation I have (though there certainly may be many others) was that it has been working really hard lately due to unseasonably colder than usual temperatures in Montreal. Any ideas? Am I at a point where I might need to buy a new one?

The pool was still warm (79 degrees) though it was lower than the temperature that was set (82 degrees). It seems to be still working though not optimally? ...In any event, I turned it off, fearing I might fry the machine!

Thoughts?

Intex Ultra Frame 20' x 52"
    1600GPH Intex Sand Filter
    12-4'x8'x1" Polystyrene Sheets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turcotte heat pump freezing up? Help?

Anyone?

3. Back To Top    #3

Try hosing out the fuzzies from your coils
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's normal under certain conditions to get a small amount of frost. Your heat pump should have a defrost cycle which clears up the ice. If it doesn't clear on its own soon, or if it gets worse, you may need a new defrost controller. Some heat pumps have time/temperature controllers and others have demand defrost which monitors and defrosts as necessary.

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually looking at your picture more closely, that looks like solid ice. I suspect that your defrost cycle is not working.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much for your responses!

Is the defrost cycle automatic? Is it something I can control via a temperature setting?

Could this be cause by a Freon gas leak too?

7. Back To Top    #7

It's possible that you could be low on freon, but probably not my first instinct. The defrost cycle should be automatic. Sounds like you may need s service call, unfortunately.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup. I made the call this morning. Hopefully, this will be sorted out on time for my 5 year old's party on Saturday!

I really appreciate you chiming in.