Intermatic Transformer for Volt Lights

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I recently purchased an Intermatic transformer (ML200RT) for a low voltage landscaping system I am planning. I am planning on using Volt and Paradise fixtures and using LED bulbs bought on ebay. However, I contacted Intermatic to make sure the transformer was magnetic and has an AC output (which it does). The rep I talked to says it does but that many manufacturers require a Class 2 type of transformer rating for LED lights and the Intermatic transformer is not. The rep said class 2 means it meet the UL, National Electrical Code & ANSI/NFPA 70 approval. I'm not sure what all this means, how important it is, and if this rules out the transformer I bought for LED lights. Thanks in advance for any help!

If you are using the transformer for underwater lights a class 2 rating is essential, required by code and a very sensible safety precaution. If you are using it for landscape lighting then it doesn't make much difference.

Class 2 transformers are specifically designed to make it impossible for the transformer to ever short high voltage to the low voltage side, which could be deadly in a swimming pool. A regular transformer can short in that way, and even though the odds of that happening are extremely low, the resulting danger is so high that it really isn't a good idea to go with any but class 2 for underwater lights.

I have also used Volt lighting and the rep at Volt said that I could use any magnetic transformer. I didn't see the need to use theirs with only 2 of their LED lights as the 300 watt transformer was a bit overkill.. I went ahead and used a pool rated even though lights were more than 10 ft away from pool. Lights are working great. I have them tied into my Easy Touch and have been using them for a couple of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.