Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic Transformer for Volt Lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic Transformer for Volt Lights

I recently purchased an Intermatic transformer (ML200RT) for a low voltage landscaping system I am planning. I am planning on using Volt and Paradise fixtures and using LED bulbs bought on ebay. However, I contacted Intermatic to make sure the transformer was magnetic and has an AC output (which it does). The rep I talked to says it does but that many manufacturers require a Class 2 type of transformer rating for LED lights and the Intermatic transformer is not. The rep said class 2 means it meet the UL, National Electrical Code & ANSI/NFPA 70 approval. I'm not sure what all this means, how important it is, and if this rules out the transformer I bought for LED lights. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intermatic Transformer for Volt Lights

If you are using the transformer for underwater lights a class 2 rating is essential, required by code and a very sensible safety precaution. If you are using it for landscape lighting then it doesn't make much difference.

Class 2 transformers are specifically designed to make it impossible for the transformer to ever short high voltage to the low voltage side, which could be deadly in a swimming pool. A regular transformer can short in that way, and even though the odds of that happening are extremely low, the resulting danger is so high that it really isn't a good idea to go with any but class 2 for underwater lights.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. The transformer is strictly for landscaping lights (all will be kept at least 10' from the pool). The rep at Intermatic seemed to indicate that a class 2 transformer was required for LED (and not halogen) which didn't make any sense to me.
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have also used Volt lighting and the rep at Volt said that I could use any magnetic transformer. I didn't see the need to use theirs with only 2 of their LED lights as the 300 watt transformer was a bit overkill.. I went ahead and used a pool rated even though lights were more than 10 ft away from pool. Lights are working great. I have them tied into my Easy Touch and have been using them for a couple of weeks.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using an ML200RT with eBay LED bulbs in Malibu fixtures. This the third year. None are within 10 feet of the pool. No problems so far.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.