Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed Super Pump vs High Performance 2 speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed Super Pump vs High Performance 2 speed

I think my existing 6-7 year old Hayward super pump 2 died on me this weekend. It tries to start making a noise, and actually makes the water in the basket move around, but stops after a second or so. After 10-20 seconds it tries again. I took the wet end off the pump and tried turning it on without the wet end connected and it fired up no problem. I connected it back up to the wet end and get the same failure as before. I was all set to get a new pump as I couldn't figure out what's wrong, and figured I would sacrifice some pool down time to see what folks on here say.

I believe I need the 1.5 HP since I am using it to power a Kreepy Krauly Legend II without a booster pump, however we seem to be needing to replace our filter cartridges every couple of years, and I wonder if its because the pump is too much for the pool.

I am looking at replacing it with either the Hayward Super Variable Speed pump, or the Hayward TriStar High Performance 2 speed pump. Any recommendations or thoughts on the pumps, or things to try with the existing one?
    In-ground plaster pool
    Hayward C4520BHMB cartridge filter 450 sq ft- 150 GPM
    Hayward Super II Pump 1.5 - .25 HP
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed Super Pump vs High Performance 2 speed

Did you try to turn the wet end? The impeller might be jammed with debris, or the seal could be locked up on it. Both are pretty easy fixes on most pumps, my LPS rebuilt mine that I brought in for just the cost of the parts.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought I did. I had the pump apart at the diffuser, so the pump was still connected to the impeller. With it in this state, I was able to turn it on and it ran, sending the impeller ring flying, which I still had on the impeller. I'll take it apart again tonight and look inside the diffuser and impeller a little closer.
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

4. Back To Top    #4

I just went home during lunch and took the pump apart again. The impeller does spin fine, and I tried turning the motor on again with just the impeller attached, and it does start to turn, but actually does shut off after a couple seconds. So maybe before I just shut it off too quickly. So its exhibiting the same behavior with the wet end connected and without it. I ended up just ordering a new motor, impeller ring, gasket, and sealer. Hopefully there aren't any problems when I put it all together!
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

5. Back To Top    #5

I had also tested the capacitor of the motor and it was taking a charge when I had the multimeter set to check ohms at its highest setting.
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you order a 2-speed motor?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a good question! Looks like I ordered an Emerson 1 1/2 HP C Frame Premium Energy Efficient motor (EB796). I was assuming this was a 2 speed motor since the pool supply company knew what pump I had, however when I look online it doesn't seem like it is. I'll have to call them back. Thanks for the heads up!!
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

8. Back To Top    #8

Post the model of your superpump II.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

The model number is: SP1610-Z-2-MC
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

10. Back To Top    #10

That sounds like the motor model number, do you see a number for the pump?

11. Back To Top    #11

I am fairly certain the EB796 is a full rate 1.5 hp, and yours is an uprated 1.5 hp ( the SP-1610-Z2-MC). Most likely the B975 (1 hp full rate) will work for your pump....but let us know the pump model if you can find it.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll head home to try and get the exact pump model.
    Thanks!
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II

13. Back To Top    #13

Finally got around to getting the number. Its an SP3010X152AZ.
    In-ground plaster pool
    Kreepy Krauly Legend II