Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump motor quit

1. Back To Top    #1

pump motor quit

can i replace my pump motor with a whirlpool tub pump motor?the motors look the same.can i take the intake(skimmer basket)section off the old one and put it on the new one?trying to save $. 200 bucks for a new an old tub w/jet pump that works good just dont want it anymore. Anyone do this before?
    16x32x7'6", ~23000 gallons, IG, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: pump motor quit

Welcome to tfp, suseejr

Assuming you mean the pump/motor and not just the make model of both pumps.

You say your current pump is not working, does it not start, blow a fuse, make a noise, etc.?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: pump motor quit

well the breaker tripped a couple times,and then while i was backwashing it, i smelled something burning then the pump quit.was not the breaker that time.this was a pump that my buddy gave me last year when the pump i had for 20yrs burned out. he takes down unwanted pools for people and keeps whats good.I knew it was a temp. fix.Im leaning towards just buying a new one instead of messing around with what i have.dont want to do a bunch of work and the have to buy one anyway.i'll get back with the specs
    16x32x7'6", ~23000 gallons, IG, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner