Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP !!!! Pool is awful

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP !!!! Pool is awful

We are going to open our pool after a mission trip in the middle of July. It is an above ground pool and the cover blew off so lots of strange things are in there. The water is green and clumpy and tadpoles are in it. I have a sand filter which I will hook up and then I will fill the pool to the top. What do you do next or will I have to empty it and scrub the sides and start all over?

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: HELP !!!! Pool is awful

Welcome to the forum

What is pool size/gallons?

What is your water source..... municipal or well water?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

We need some facts. If it's not too big of a pool, draining and scrubbing might be the fastest, easiest way. The bad part is that you can't empty a vinyl-liner pool 100% without risking damage to the liner.

Drain or treat - either way you'll need your own test kit. You can order that now; very few pool stores will stock what you want and will sell you an inferior, incomplete kit.

Start reading Pool School - link is on top of every page.
    Some inspiration:
    frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

- read pool school
    - get a proper drop based test kit

Maintaining a pool is not hard but you need to develop the knowledge required as well as possess the proper tools (ie: test kit, and not test strips) to do it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list